Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was just wondering if anybody can come up with any suggestions for me before I take this thing to a repair shop. It is an older 110v Hobart mig. It has always been a good welder and has a fair amount of hours on it but now it just flips my breaker when I try weld. I have tried different breakers and outlets. Anything obvious I can check before taking it in? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Check the power supply cord going into the housing, these things have been known to short against the case and cause the breaker to trip. Since it is tripping the outlet breaker it probably has something to do with the supply cord, these things get pulled, twisted, stepped on and have things dropped on them sometimes so make sure it is not just a bad cord either outside or inside the welder.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If its tripping the breaker in your electrical panel, theres a couple things to check, take the covers off, have a good look at the transformer in the machine, if its blown you will most likely see it, also check the diodes in the machine to make sure one of those hasn't shorted out on you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.