Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you fix pitted chrome have it on hood emblems.if i could just fix the pits i would powder coat it with almost chrome and im sure they would be good to go.the pitting isn't horrible but its moderate.thanks.

Conner

·
Registered
93 Posts
Chemical Strip and see if the pits are into the metal or just the plating. Then Rechrome. Sorry but there isn't much to do with chrome after it is damaged.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i figured that much just hopeing i had something to fall back on but thanks for the responce stang i needed the motive to reaize the truth :D

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Conner, if its not that bad, just bead blast the crome off and paint or powder coat the emblems. With the right color it could look ultra tough. If your going to get it re-chromed most shops with take care of the pits and get it all smooth for you.

Faust

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah the almost chrome paint is a powder coat id say the emblems are on average pitted(side emblems)my front emblem i belive could survive your suggestion i'll more than likly give it a go around.thanks

Conner

·
Registered
93 Posts
Eastwood has powder for coating that can be polished to like chrome. Chrome is going to be more brilliant of course but the coating is close. For less than a hundred bucks (less than a chrome job or having someone powder coat) you can get a gun and some powder. The problem is, you need infrared lights to bake the powder because your bumper isn't going to fit into an electric oven. So you are stuck with taking it somewhere no matter what. Call and see what a strip and chrome will cost and what a strip and powder coat will cost and compare. After both procedures, they will have to polish the finish so you won't save money thinking that not having to polish will save. I took the bumper off a truck and had it chromed once. I opted for the better job that they offered and it came out better than new and the finish stayed longer, it took a week or so however. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts