Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I had a different thread on here. So I'll tell you what happened and my new problem.
I had purchased my first car this past summer, a 1974 dodge dart custom with a 318. I drove it home fine about 60 miles and then I drove it one more time across town. Mom made me park it until I got my license, I just had my permit. So about 2 weeks ago I went to start it, it would start then die. It did this several times until it wouldn't turn over. Someone suggested the choke was bad. So the other day I replaced the choke and went ahead and replaced the fuel pump because everything just looked old and I didn't want to get stranded somewhere. Okay so I also put in a new batter because it was dead. So when I started the car it started right up and about 14 seconds later it would just die. No matter how much I pumped the pedal. I did this several times and finally removed the lid off the air filter to expose the carburetor. I started it and it started just fine then died and flames shot up from the center of the carburetor. I noticed that the metal flap in the center now stays open.
My dad died during the Gulf War so I don't have anyone to help me which is why I'm hoping someone can troubleshoot the problem here? I appreciate any thoughts on this.
Thank you again!

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
What other stuff did you replace? Did you do all the normal tune up stuff? Plugs, wires, fuel filters? What kind of carb. are you running? Is your gas fresh or nice and old. I have seen lots of flames shot out of carbs and it is harmless to the carb in most cases. Usually a tuning or timing problem. That sucks about your dad. There are lots of really smart people here that will help you with just about anything. :cool:

·
Registered
45 Posts
timing

Definitely check the timing and the points should you have them. i had a similar problem and it was a bear to fix. Turns out I had a bad set of points. If possible think of getting electronic ignition. Not very expensive, and worth the money. I will never run points again. Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great pointers, thanks. It is electronic ignition, 2BBL carb..I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump and the spark plug and wires were changed when I first got the car. Mom is freaking out thinking I'm going to blow up the garage :mwink: so you think it's something harmless? I only know how to do the basics..so the timing or points? That would cause it to die and flame out? Again I appreciate everything!

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
FYI
If you are working on that car, and it has a tendancy to shoot flames----
do not wear anything with nylon or rayon in it.

My father got 3rd degree burns over almost half of his body, because of his clothing--(and in-attentiveness). This stuff melts and sticks to your skin--
will not be pretty.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
He he, go to the parts store, get a manual on any chrysler, plymouth or dodge in that era that came with a small block.

You probably got a plug wire, or two, crossed when you did the tuneup. Use the manual to get it straight.

Larry

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
Yeah it sounds like you are getting to much fuel for one reason or another. Like Coldknock said I would get a manual and check to make sure the plug wires are routed correctly. It may also be a problem with the carb like a sticky float letting to much fuel past. I wonder if your new fuel pump is the culprit over powering the carb? :confused: You could check the fuel pressure and compare that to your specs in the manual your going to buy. ;) Or maybe upgrade to a nice performance intake and four barrel carb and let that 318 live a little. :D Oh and also check to make sure your distributer is tight. Just try to gently give it a turn to see if it could have been loose enough to accidentally change your timing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
if u keep pumping it, it will flood out
just hold ur foot on the accelarator pedal to the floor and start it,
check ur timing first of course, thats whats causing it to back fire

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Dalles,

Before you buy too many new parts, make sure your choke is working properly. You noted in your original post that the engine dies a few seconds after it starts and the the choke plate is in the full open position. Depending on temperature where you are at, the choke plate might be opening too quickly or too far. The suggestion of buying a Chiltons (or other) manual for the car is almost mandatory and that manual should tell you exactly how to set the choke properly.

Also, as soon as the car dies, shine a light down the throttle bore and work the throttle by hand to see if you are getting gas through the jets. If not, pull the fuel line off at the carb and make sure it is pumping fuel. If it is, you may need to rebuild the carb. This may SOUND like a major project to tackle...but it's really not that difficult or expensive. And it sounds like you might have a little time before you get your license and can drive the car on a regular basis anyhow. Plus you'll learn a whole lot about how your fuel system works.

If you ARE getting gas squirting when you hit the throttle pump then I'd say that timing, spark, or choke/idle setting is the likely culprit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts