Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dual exhaust which exits on the side, before the rear tires and I was considering installing a flame thrower kit.
The thing is, I would only want to use the kit while the car is moving and not have to interrupt the car's ignition system.
I also know that for best results I would need a pair of fuel injectors along with an electric fuel pump installed just before the spark plugs.

I would like to know if there is anything out there that could allow me to shoot flames while in motion and not hinder my engines ignition performance?

Could I make the kit myself or am I better off purchasing one?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
The flamethrower ignition does not affect your engine's normal ignition. You want to create a rich mixture in the pipe (using the extra fuel pump and injectors), and then use a spare coil and spark plug to ignite the rich fuel. The normal flow of exhaust gas out the pipe will cause the flamethrower effect as the rich mixture is ignited.

I don't know how the store-bought kits compare to what you could make on your own.

Bruce

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 75gmck25!

How abouts would one go in a home made kit?
I already have an electrical fuel pump and a pair of injectors.
How would I go about the rest?

I imagine that I'd have to purchase a pair of coils, connect the spark plugs to the coils and then wire them directly to the battery. Mount the fuel injectors a few inches after the spark plugs, hook it up to the fuel pump which in turn is connected to the fuel tank. Hook all the electricals to a dash mounted switch.

Do I have it the concept right?

What else should I take into consideration to get the best flames (I've got dual exit 3.5" tips) and not blow my mufflers up?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.