Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do through alot of abrasives here in my shop. Flap wheels cost me about 7 bucks apiece and some days I go through 3 or 4. Is there a good on line source that offers discount prices?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Blackdog,

If you don't mind could you tell me what you are doing that you go through so many flap wheels?
I teach high school metal shop and we use maybe three all year. Now, I do run them down to the hub, but, we get alot of use out of them.

Thanks
Scholman

·
Registered
57 Posts
Check and see if there is a Company called Fastenall in your area. The flapper wheels they sell are double thickness and have out lasted anything I have found. They also offer differant grit sizes. I would give them an A+.

From looking at your post the ones from Fastenall are also less expensive that the ones you are getting. I tried the ones from Harbor Freight and they didn't seem to last very long. Try the ones that I have talked about and I am sure you will agree.

Keith in Missouri

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gents. I'll try Fastenall tomorrow.

Scholman, I've been working on off road bumpers. I do the heavy grinding with a grinder than finish it with the flap wheel. I wear them down half way to the hub than trash them.

BTW Scholman, I'm a subsititute teacher, I'd like to pick your brain on a few issues. We can take it off board if the guys don't want to talk shop. Thanks all!

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but I would love to hear the "shop talk" between two teachers. :)

I really enjoyed doing clinics and product knowledge meetings when I was a paint rep. I have often thought about a second career as an instructor. I hear ICAR is often looking for instructors, that would be right up my alley.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
MARTINSR said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I would love to hear the "shop talk" between two teachers. :)

I really enjoyed doing clinics and product knowledge meetings when I was a paint rep. I have often thought about a second career as an instructor. I hear ICAR is often looking for instructors, that would be right up my alley.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Its not like it use to be, you would not like it. The instructors send more time doing required paper work for state programs and fighting just to keep their budget at last years level than they do teaching.

ICAR: Has turned into a money greed organization. I swear someone from Amway is running the show now.
BWK

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
Barry, yeah, I have heard some of the same from others. That is too bad, it is an honorable perfession.

I don't know about the inner workings of ICAR, but I have to say I have a lot of respect for the program where as before going to any courses I laughed at it. Before I worked for S-W and went to many, many clinics and classes I had no respect what so ever for any of these classes. I thought "you can't do no learning from no books" and if you don't know what you are doing from the shop exposure, you are a moron. After going to a few classes at the S-W "Learning center" (theres that marketing dept influence, it use to be called a "training center" :)) I learned how valuable these classes are.

I have taken a number of ICAR, classes and ASE tests. I really laughed at the ASE tests thinking that they were a breeze to a professional and taught you nothing. HAH, they are much more than that. Yes, they are out dated. The body tests refer to plasma cutters as the "up and coming" MUST have tool that will be in every shop in America. The paint test has questions about lacquer which many guys taking the test have never shot in their lives, or even seen a can of it!

But honestly, they teach you a lot using the study material. By the time you take the test, you have been enriched. They are NOT easy, there is a pretty good bodyman at my shop who had tried unsuccsesfully FOUR times to pass one. The ICAR welding test was not easy either, I learned a lot studying for it and under the pressure of the test (just like we face often on the job) I barely passed.

When I see a guy with all his ASE or ICAR patches on his shirt, I respect him. That doesn't mean he is a great bodyman or painter, but as far as I am concerned he has went the extra mile. By the way, I don't have the patches on my shirt, but I have thought about doing so. I am damn proud of those "certs".

I know my points aren't anything to what you said, I just wanted to ramble about ICAR :)

As Hemingway said once "I am sorry for the long letter, I didn't have time to write a short one"

·
Registered
417 Posts
The only reason I bring up Harfor Freight is the price/performance ratio. Their flap disks are not the top of the line but they are cheap. If 10 HF disks cost the same a 2 quality ones but last longer, HF is the better deal. I haven't tried any of the hi=buck ones but the HF ones seem to last a reasonable ammount of time for me.
Experiment a little and see what works out for your application.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That was my point. Cheaper is not always better BUT expensive is not automatically better either. You have to check it out for your kind of work. For example, I have a Dewalt 4" grinder and a HF 9". The HF 9" will likely last longer that the Dewalt because I don't use it very often and I don't have $300 tied up in it so I can buy more tools. Accountants call it cost/benefit analysis. Most of us would call it "The best bang for your buck."

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree 100%. I have a 9" grinder that I got when my father died. That sucker must weigh 20 pounds. LOL I only use it when my small grinder would take to long for the job.

The first time I used the big grinder I didn't notice that the cord was in poor shape. I pulled the triger and it shocked the Pi** out of me. Needless to say I check all the cords on all my power tools. Keith

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.