Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 2 exhaust pipes, 90 degree stainless steel bends in 2 1/4 inch diameter, that I have to flare on one end to fit over the header collector.

I bought one of those pipe flare tools and I am having a terrible time flaring the end. I put the pipe in a vise, installed the tool, and I had to put a 2 foot pull handle on it which flared it just a little, but even that did not give an even flare. It has the ridge marks of the tool in the pipe. I started rotating the pipe then flaring, but that did not seem to help much. After working for an hour I finally got one done, but it still does not look very good.

Can anyone give me some advise on how to do a better job with this, or are these flare tools not worth much to begin with?

I have even thought about cutting the pipe a little shorter and but welding the two pipes together.

·
machinist & fabricator
676 Posts
take it to an exhaust shop, they have hyd. flares.. takes them longer to put the dies on the machine then it does to flare it.

last month i purchased some exhaust tubing 2" for my tractor... walked in with 20 bucks and walked out with 5 90 deg bends and 10 food of pipe!

but if this is not going to be removable... i would weld it solid...

stainless looks good with some nice tig welds!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I bought (okay it was a Chistmas present from my girlfriend) one of the Flowmaster kits, #15816 which an exhaust kit to fit '55/6/7 Chevies.

None of the pipes has flares to them and I wanted to be able to slip the pipes together and apart if needed.

A local transmission shop that also does exhaust work flared all four of my pipes for free. I did buy my pipe clamps from them at $1 each (= $8).

This shop has done work for me previously, infact the guy that flared these Flowmaster pipes for me, also custom bent an exhaust pipe for my windowed Sedan Delivery in 1984. He was nice enough to re-make new pipes for my Delivery two weeks ago when I replaced all the exhaust on it again. I figure 20 years is a good cut off point for exhaust pipes.

NAPA didn't seem too happy replacing the life-time muffler I bought from them in 1983 though? Oh well.

:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts