Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Buy a retrofit roller cam kit, like the ones sold by Howard’s cams. Then buy a cam button (or new timing cover with a built-in button), and verify you have the correct pushrod length. I checked the pushrod length, and Howard’s recommended the most common length needed, and it all matched up. The Howard’s retrofit kit does not require a change to your stock distributor gear.

You should also use a new timing chain and gear set. If you go to a double roller chain you might have to clearance the 350 block for the wide chain.

·
Born 13th Generation U.S.A.
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buy a retrofit roller cam kit, like the ones sold by Howard’s cams. Then buy a cam button (or new timing cover with a built-in button), and verify you have the correct pushrod length. I checked the pushrod length, and Howard’s recommended the most common length needed, and it all matched up. The Howard’s retrofit kit does not require a change to your stock distributor gear.

You should also use a new timing chain and gear set. If you go to a double roller chain you might have to clearance the 350 block for the wide chain.
Thanks for the link "Howard's Cams. What do you mean by "clearance the block" ? I have a 327 not a 350 though its the same bore.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,827 Posts
Ill answer, sometimes the double roller are thick enougn to hit the block by the cam bearing boss and oil gallery. A grinder fixes it easily.
You don't need a double roller anyway. A quality single roller is plenty. I like SA gear.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.