Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a flatdeck trailer for hauling cars around. What would you say is a good length for the trailer deck? 16' trailers seem to be a bit cheaper, but maybe I need an 18'? What are you guys using? I want to be able to haul pretty big cars. It has to be able to hold my 64 oldsmobile jetstar 88. This isn't a small car. Would it fit on a 16' deck?
Thanks,
dh

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Most car hauler flat bed trailers that have the rear section that is angled down a bit (dovetail) are 22 feet long (tongue and all). You might consider a dovetail trailer if you have a car that is low. The dovetail decreases the angle of the ramps allowing the car to clear the back of the trailer as it rolls onto the ramps..

Vince

·
Registered
46 Posts
We have a 16' with the dovetail, or beavertail ramp ends, and the open center for less trailer weight.

It works very well with the SBC Mustang race car, and handled the '79 Lincoln I just scrapped OK.

But, if I were to buy another one, I would go with the 18' to have more room for a bigger (deeper) toolbox instead of the shallow one that we have now.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
dh79 said:
16' trailers seem to be a bit cheaper, but maybe I need an 18'? What are you guys using? I want to be able to haul pretty big cars. It has to be able to hold my 64 oldsmobile jetstar 88.

I have a 16 footer.........and it works for me BUT you should go ahead and get the 18 footer.......at least.

The 1964 Olds is a big car. With the 18 footer ( or even a 20 ) you can move the car forward/backward to get the tonque weight right.

I have the larger 2 and 5/8 ball also.........

All I haul are the 40 Ford or my 32 Ford.............see my avatar.

.:D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Trailer lenght

It took a little bit to upload the picture to my gallery, but you can see my truck and 14 foot flat bed trailer in there. I don't have a dove tail, just two 6 foot ramps to toss in the truck in the box after loading. It seems to work well enough for me, but if I were to buy another trailer, I'd get at least an 18' with a dove tail.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, thanks for the replies. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a good 18'. I'd definately like a dovetail, but it's going to kinda depend on what I can fit in my budget.
Since we're on the subject of trailers, anybody have a preference between electric or hydraulic surge brakes?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I can't say for sure on either. The trailer has electric brakes, but I still haven't bought the setup for the truck. It costs around $125 installed so maybe I should get it.... Soon.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Pick your posion on brakes.
Electric give you much better control but require a controller in any vehicle you use to tow.
With surge (hydraulic) brakes, you don't have the ability to control them but you can drop the trailer on anything that has a tow ball and you still have brakes. For a big trailer - like an RV - electric is the clear winner. For smaller trailers, it's much more of a toss up. If you tow on snow and ice, go with the electric. If you do general towing and want convience, go with surge. I have surge on the boat trailer and electric on the flatbed. I give electric a slight edge but wouldn't consider changing a trailer from one to the other.
As far as size, I've carried a '90 Deville and a '56 Studebaker 4 door on my 16' but it is totally flat with longer ramps. I wouldn't want a 16' if part of it was the dovetail.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Pick one that suits your intended usage but do remember that the longer they are, the harder they are to manuver in tight places (unless you have a GMC Qudrasteer)
If you have a choice, the 2 5/16" ball is better simply because it gives you a greater safety margin. With a large car loaded, you could be up around the rated capacity for some 2" balls. My trailer may be a bit heaver than average but it tips the scales right at 2000 pounds.

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
16' flatbed, 2 5/16 ball, electric brakes, no dovetail because I have a steep driveway the back edge barely clears as it sits now. The advantage to electric brakes is no one else usually has a controller so you tell them they cant borrow your trailer because its illegal to tow a tandem axle trailer without brakes. It saves on abuse from inexperienced driver tearing up your equipment . ;) Largest vehicle I towed on it was a 72 Chevy 1/2ton long bed truck. I decided to add side rails for strength before I do that again. I have to say I would be more comfortable with an 18'.

·
Registered
417 Posts
2-manytoyz,
I know the feeling. The license plate on my trailer is mounted on a hinge because it was getting bent up every time I pulled in the driveway. Now it just swings back out of the way.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
In our neck of the woods any trailer that has more than one axle is required by law to have electric brakes. With mine, one axle is electric. Not saying that it is used:rolleyes: because I don't have the controller mounted in the truck. Shop around for a trailer. I bought mine new (18' with 2' dovetail) and it is extra wide (84" I believe) for $1395. But the guy that sells the $4000 trailer will tell you that the $1500 trailer is a piece of crap. Add a little better paint though and the price can jump by $2500. LOL!!! Of course it comes with crappy rims and crappy used tires that will need replaced but for basic general use is a good trailer. The ramps also store underneath the dovetail. Winter is a good time to buy as the dealers want to get rid of their inventory for the next years models. Which that don't really make a lot of sense to me because the next year model looks like the same angle iron and paint as this years model. The title just states it's a year older is all.

Kevin

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Thats probably it...the newer trailer will bring a better price next year...like the value of the year old trailer really goes down at the end of the season?? I'll remember that if I ever buy another one. Right now I'm thinking more along the lines of a tilt bed truck to haul my stuff on.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts