Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ford V8-60 and the opportunity to get a set of offenhauser heads. There are NOS units. My thought is they should bolt right on.
I have seen other "Meyer?" performance heads with a note that domed pistons are required.
Does anyone have experience with the Offy heads on a V8-60?

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,496 Posts
I always thought those cute little flathead V8's looked better with the smooth stock heads...

Aluminum pulls away heat from the combustion chamber and heat is power... so prolly have to go domed pistons to increase the compression ratio to recover the lost power...

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
GENERALLY, when we go to aluminum heads from iron, Buzz is correct; we add compression by using a thinner headgasket or selecting cylinder heads with less combustion chamber volume - to get a bump in compression.
My guess is these have a larger chamber than the stock heads would have, mostly cuz they were designed for 'hot' engines. If it was just the minor difference in alum vs iron; I imagine they'd just tell you to mill the heads slightly, or use a shim gasket.

If it was me; I'd have the seller get the heads "cc'd" and see what the combustion chamber volume is - and decide if its worth it. Its easy to do with a flat piece of plastic and a plastic syringe thats graduated (in cc's) and filled with windshield washer fluid.

Then theres the argument that these are NOS and never installed...primo garage or museum fodder; and shouldn't be installed.

Nathan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
V8-60 heads

Thanks for the info.

I really do not need a lot of power. This little 8 is going into my Almquist Sabre project. We are talking about a 980lb car.
I really like the looks of the Offy heads although stock is very cool.

I love flat head engines but am not real experienced. Isn't it generally a no no to mill the heads to up compression? would that give you valve clearance issues?

IO attached an image of my 1956 Almquist Sabre - one of America's first kit cars. Build on a Crossly chassis

Attachments

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,496 Posts
Nice looking car... I hear it crying out for a Mustang II independent front suspension...

1952 Glaspar kit car... built on Jeep frame:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts