Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Been trying to hunt down a sound now for about a week and need some assistance. It sounds like a grinding/scraping noise that only happens under medium to heavy acceleration and only lasts for a few seconds; mostly when the truck is cold but recently i have been hearing it when hot but always when medium to heavy acceleration.

I thought it was the same problem I had initially (2 years ago), where the flywheel was scraping the metal flywheel/TQ shield (because of my BOP spacer) but since i spaced that shield out more it went away and have not heard it again until this similar sound last week.

I checked everything I could think of but I can't find any scrape marks anywhere that may point to the culprit; I am suspecting the flexwheel is hitting the BOP plate but can't prove it as I can't see in that space.

I am looking at the edge of the flywheel teeth (the part that would scrape first) on the side towards the engine and I'm not sure if it is worn; it isn't obvious and I'm thinking some of the shiny may be due to the starter engaging.

I included a picture of the BOP to flywheel spacing.

Any thoughts?
How much does a flywheel typically flex? And does it flex towards the engine or away?

Thanks
Cheers
Gary :D

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BOP plate

eloc431962; I was running a shield that, in the past, had caused some scraping but that went away when I spaced it out more. I removed it last week after the sounds started again to eliminate it from the possible causes, I've been running without it for the past week.

68NovaSS; Thanks.

So likely culprit is the BOP plate, any thoughts on why it is getting worse now when it was fine since motor was put in (approx 2 years ago now)?
Anything getting worn out? Imbalance?

Thank You :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.