Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my race cars have bear metal floors, 1 aluminum and 1 steel and I'm wondering about using the spray Flex Seal on them. Any one doing this?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
That sprayable Flex Seal in a can, is better than any 3M, Wurth, or any other undercoating I have ever used.
The only thing better is the water based stuff used by Diamler Benz, and Porsche, and other High End Automakers. But takes a special gun, and might be hard to get.
That Flex Seal works good, and is readily available. Win, Win!

·
Registered
158 Posts
That sprayable Flex Seal in a can, is better than any 3M, Wurth, or any other undercoating I have ever used.
The only thing better is the water based stuff used by Diamler Benz, and Porsche, and other High End Automakers. But takes a special gun, and might be hard to get.
That Flex Seal works good, and is readily available. Win, Win!
What are you doing with this, soundproofing?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
What are you doing with this, soundproofing?
Back in my Collision Repair days. We just use Rattle can Undercoating to replace OE.
Only recently have I used the Flex Seal Spray . But I could tell just by the way it behaved after I sprayed it and it dried, that it was good!
Of course I did some test panels with different thicknesses , and tried to peel it off . It was stuck like crazy , And very pliable...

I actually used it inside the cab of a Ford truck to stop a water leak that was coming from the outside. This was over a year ago , it rains a lot here in North Carolina and it hasn't leaked yet .

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Back in my Collision Repair days. We just use Rattle can Undercoating to replace OE.
Only recently have I used the Flex Seal Spray . But I could tell just by the way it behaved after I sprayed it and it dried, that it was good!
Of course I did some test panels with different thicknesses , and tried to peel it off . It was stuck like crazy , And very pliable...

I actually used it inside the cab of a Ford truck to stop a water leak that was coming from the outside. This was over a year ago , it rains a lot here in North Carolina and it hasn't leaked yet .
If the leak you sealed is a seam , by sealing the inside ,( unless the sealer filled the void all the way to the outside) you've created a space where corrosion will flourish , unseen ,& unabated. J M E ....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have used the roll on/brush on bed liner from Pep Boys on some 4x4 buggies for work. I was surprised at how well it went on and evened out. Used tape around the edges which removed to a nice straight line. I don't think you could tell it from a commercial spray job. The running boards on my 40 were sprayed on by a bedliner and they look like new years later. I scrape the mud off my boots on them before getting in. (Talk about a driver)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
If the leak you sealed is a seam , by sealing the inside ,( unless the sealer filled the void all the way to the outside) you've created a space where corrosion will flourish , unseen ,& unabated. J M E ....
Yes, good point. But that will happen far down the road. Customer was concerned with a constantly wet floorboard, and stinky truck!
Hopefully it'll last another good 10 years, lol!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts