Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanks to all you guys i checked out all the mounts and such under the burban, nothing looked bad nor did the fan hit the shroud.

soooo i had daddyo do a brake-stand while i slid under the truck on the creeper and sure enough, the noise was comeing from the the starter area

the 3/16 gap that was once there was gone...

how do i go abouts in fixing this? its a high torque starter, and i dont believe a standard chevy starter fits. i thought the starter was dieing when really the battery was the problem, and i couldn't get the bolts to align.

any help? im stumped =P

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
The gap between the starter gear and flexplate is only an issue when the motor is being cranked over, too much gap it will skip over the teeth, to little it won't engage or disengage possibly. If the starter has shifted...do you have the correct knurled starter bolts? And did you use the spacer shims to get your clearance?

I don't understand how the starter gear can come into contact with the flexplate while the motor is running, torqued up or not, unless the starter isn't disengaging..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.