Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used vinyl tile on their garage floors? Any problems with it coming up or braking? I want to put the black and white checkered tile on the floor 40x40 area, but I'm worried about turning the car on it.. Right now the floor is concrete with a surface sealer, and when I turn I hear the tires squeaking really loud. I'm just thinking about all that pressure on a little 12x12 tile glued down and am wondering if that is going to tear them up.. I know I have seen people use them though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't heard of people using tile, But I know a few people who have used epoxy paint to seal their floors. Looks pretty good when they are done...

I would imagine after a certain amount of time, oil or gas is going to get on them and either eat them or cause them to come loose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
They will work as long as the car and tire aren't two heavy and wide, respectively. One of the local car audio shops where I am from have them, and they had a problem with something heavy with a fat tire when they turned the wheel to get out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it makes the garage/shop look cool. I just finished mine in August. No problems yet.
Get it waxed ASAP. Something Industrial grade. The only thing I'm not sure what the wax will be impervious to. I'm sure laquer thinner and strong solevents will cut through and even sofen the vinyl however. Still researching that. I'm also open for suggestions.
Good luck.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
I think the biggest worry would be floor jacks or jack stands penetrating the tile. A tire should have enough cushion area and softness that you should be alright. You would probably have to keep a piece / pieces of plywood around for stands and jacks.

mcross67...if yu get a chance post a pic of your floor.

Kevin

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
I guess vct or even the snap tiles would be ok, provided you :

A: Don't weld
B: Don't cut with torches
C: Don't spill corrosive fluids like brake fluid, battery acid, etc.
D: Don't drop heavy sharp objects ie scraps of steel, chisel,etc.
E: (VCT) not in areas with thermal extremes- vinyl will expand and contract with temperature extremes. Depending on adhesive, they either pop up or edge crush
F:(Snap Tile) PITA when you have to lift a section out to clean up the antifreeze you drop. It works its way to the floor.
G: (Snap Tile) Tough to sweep clean (Small pebblette finish, joints)

Paint: Most of the above
Epoxy: Some of the above
Carpet: All of the above
Sealed Concrete: Most of the above

Lets face it. We're screwed trying to keep the floor looking nice, unless we don't work over it. :(

·
Registered
417 Posts
It is not the prettiest but, in my last garage, I used a coat of Thompsons Waterseal every few years. It seems to soak in and seal the pores in the cement. There isn't much on the surface so it isn't very slick but water just beads up and runs off. Oil and antifreeze wipe up without a trace. Since it doesn't have much color, you can just repair an area if you dump a can of lacquer thinner or acid on it and, it's pretty cheap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just going to use them in the "showroom" area... I'm using epoxy for the shop... I've looked into the locking tiles, but they are not cheap.. I figured a 40x40 area, and it was twice what I paid for the concrete!! most places want about 5$ for a 12''x12'' square..

·
Registered
3 Posts
It might not be exactly what your looking for, but check out Better Life Technology floor covering

I could not use even the best paints on my concrete floor due to moisture rising up. The garage is below grade. I don't get water coming up, but you can feel the moisture in the concrete. Any type of paint I applied just bubbled up and flaked after 6 months.

I put down one of the Better Life's flooring and it solved the problem. The flooring is also a vapor barrier. This will prevent any moisture to the undercarriage during winter storage.

I purchased mine at Sam's club online and they shipped it to a local Sam's club for free so I could just pick it up. Not to bad, as it is an oversize package that weighs around 75 lbs.

Just an idea

1 - 10 of 10 Posts