Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i needed help finding a good quick fix for my pan until i can afford a new one i dont have a welder yet or id just weld a new spot in my problem is on the trans tube and passenger floor pan i was curious if just rustolem would temporarly stop it from getting into a more difficult spot i have no problem removing my bench seat but i dont want it to extend to far less the better also would i be ok running fiberglass over the trans tube and floor its got carpet over it and insulation

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
$1?= a piece of scrap aluminum sheet from a local screen enclosure company's scrap barrel (easy to bend and hammer into shape)
$1? = a squeeze tube of Dap bath caulk (easy to remove when you do the new panel)
$.20 = galvanized sheet metal screws

if you are going to replace the floor within a (?) year....leave the old floor alone.....they don't rust that rapidly.....if "ugly" is a problem, just spray it with some Krylon (easy to remove with laquer thinner when you do the repair area coating correct with epoxy etc)

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
There are at least a couple of ways to go on this.

1.) Put the rust "to sleep" until you can deal with it properly.
As someone on this board said many months ago:
"Rust sleeps but never dies"

Permatex Rust Treatment

2.) Seeing as the area that you are dealing with is not a "structural" component ... and you don't have a welder ...
Several companies make a urethane adhesive that works very well.
Norton Speedgrip (#04617 gives you a 15-minute cure time) is what all of my bodyshop customers seem to like.

Cut and shape a patch, or even buy a pre-made patch panel if one is available for your car, and glue it into place.

My personal choice would be option 2. Most parts stores would lend (with a deposit) you the applicator gun.

Good luck with whatever method you try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.