Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Chevy pickup with a 6.0 liter engine in it, and i was wondering if anyone had ever used the FLowmaster Super 40 Series mufflers on a fuel injected engine before. And if so how did it sound? I am lookin for something that sounds good and is loud when i really stomp on it, but when i am driving nice it doesnt have to be so terribly loud.

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
I have the flowmaster super 40's on my 67 nova.They sound awsome!!!The cool thing about them is they are not as loud in the car,but people still hear me coming.The regular 40's are super loud inside and outside the car.I got mine on ebay for $60 each-stainless steel. bm

·
Registered
57 Posts
Overall info.

Overall info.

1. Longer is quiter and shorter is noiser.

2. Bigger round is mellower ans smaller round is sharper

3. In the '50's we had "Hollywood's for mellow and Smittie's for sharpness. Accellerating-the Smittys get your attention and when you take your foot off the gas all hell breaks loose! There is nothing like Smitty's for "racket on demand"! (your daddy must be chief of police)? Just cruising Smitty's are decent but you can tell they are not stock. They are about 18" long and 4-1/2 dia. The mellow Hollywoods are gone, they were 36" long. The Smitty's are still going strong,

4. Flowmasters have been mentiond and are my current choice also, but I want quiet so their 70's are for me. If you want the most racket simply get the shortest and smallest dia. ones (30's as I recall) and the jub is dome. I see that 40's are recommended...nothing wrong there. Go hear some 40's and go up, down or stay with that number.

5. We all like to talk about what we know. Take a day and visit three custom muffler shops and get the office know-it-all switched from a sales mode into an information mode and note what they say. Tell them you are going around for info as this will affect their response. You will likely be able to get some on the spot demo's from cars they each have on hand at the time.

·
1955 Chrysler Imperial
4 Posts
Mufflers? Is Smitty's still in business?

One of the posts on this thread mentioned Smitty's. Are they still around? I just bought a 1955 Chrysler Imperial, hemi-powered, with a custom dual exhaust with Smitty's mufflers. I will re-do the system later this year and wonder where to get replacements for the Smitty's (which sound great, by the way).

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
is there no sutlety left in this world?

Does makin,' it louder make it go faster?

If u want people to hear u comin' just blow the horn. LOL :D :D :D

·
Everything is HAMMER!
348 Posts
Cape Cod Bob said:
is there no sutlety left in this world?

Does makin,' it louder make it go faster?

If u want people to hear u comin' just blow the horn. LOL :D :D :D
Subtelty Is for fine wines and paintings, when it comes to an american v8, the only thing that should be kept "subtle" is the drivers anxiety about how quickly the fuel gauge is dropping.

·
Everything is HAMMER!
348 Posts
On that show american hot rod boyd coddington had made an redone a ford hotrod of the early thirties, idk what it was for sure, but it had an ls2 which is also a 6 litre engine w/ dual smitty's and that thing sounded pretty darn B.A.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts