Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys all using for power steering fluid? Dexron 3 or something like GM power steering fluid? Does it really matter? This rack which is for a Lincoln/Tbird is "supposed" to work with GM pump pressures without adjustments. We'll see! Type of oil should not affect pressures or flow under normal conditions. Jim.

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
Normally, I'd suggest going with whatever is recommended in the owner's manual. The engineers that built the car would have the best idea of what additives were good or bad to have.

In your case I would use an actual Power Steering Fluid and hope that it would be compatible with the seals in both the rack AND the pump. I also recall someone explaining the difference between ATF types was in the anti-foaming properties. I'm thinking that it could be the foam (aerated fluid) that would make the pump noisey? So, again, it would make sense to me that Power Steering Fluid would be the one you want.

Pennzoil PSF

Type F is an approved PSF in some FORD applications.
Pennzoil Type F

I don't see Dexron III / Mercon listed as PSF.
Pennzoil Dexron III / Mercon

PS
Some Fords actually used a Saginaw PS pump ... eg 78 T-Bird most V8's with Optional "Extra Duty" Replacement Pump. Perhaps using that pump (assuming that Ford spec'd it to use Type F fluid) would ensure compatability with the Ford Rack?

NAPA Part Number 20-6244

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a 84 tbird rack with a gm pump with a Borgesen pressure reducer and have been using transmission fluid and honestly never thought about the difference. my 68 mustang calls for F fluid in the ps witch I use but I will stick with the hydraulic with the mixed set up has worked for about 3year now. Ed ke6bnl

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Ford manuals will recommend type F fluid (they hope you use Ford factory fluid made by Ford, $$ for for). GM manuals will recommend Dexron (they hope you use GM factory fluid made by GM, $$ for GM). Trust me, as far as a hydraulic motor and actuator are concerned, they are identical. Any P/S pump can be used with any steering gear (as long as they are relatively volume and pressure matched), with any hydraulic fluid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.