Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
old dog learning new tricks
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This leak is coming from either the top cooler line where it connects to the tranny or above that. I really can't see anything above that point and I've replaced the top fitting, including o-ring ect. What else is above this fitting that could be leaking?
It's a 98 Chevy Tahoe 4x4, 4l60e, ect.
I guess I'll take the cross member out tomorrow and drop the tranny down in order to try to see more. I was hoping someone has seen this issue and can guide me to a solution.
As always, thanks for any help!!!
Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
well there is nothing above it,, un less your your trans is cracked around the fiting or the line it,s self has a small hole in it,, other than that the onley thing up there is the vent if that,s the case your trans is building up to much pressure on the inside,,

·
old dog learning new tricks
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right. The case is cracked just to the rear of where the top fitting threads into the case. I cleaned it good with brake cleaning fluid then coated everything around that fitting with baby powder. As soon as I cranked it I crawled under with a telescopic mirror tool and identified the exact location. Then I cleaned it again and put 2 coats of JB Weld over the cracked area. It's holding good for now but I don't expect it to last. If not I guess I'll have to pull the tranny and transfer case and TIG weld the crack. There is not enough room to get a TIG torch and rod to it with it in the truck.
Thanks for your help s10mikey. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.