Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this even exists, but I was hoping that someone out there was making a flush-mount antenna kit.

What I was hoping for was a power antenna that either mounts in a cup fabbed into the body with a retaining bezel that lays flat and can be painted, or one that can be mounted from below with only a hole the size of the mast base. Then, if the mast tip was as big around as the mast base, and retracted flush, the top of the tip could be painted body color.

Is this something I'd have to fabricate myself, or has someone already done it?

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
The only flush mount antenna I know of is available at <a href="http://www.rbsauto.com/rbsauto_home.html" target="_blank">RB's Auto</a>

am/fm fully auto -- $110 ... + waterproof kit -- $8

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/" target="_blank">54 Chevy Pickup</a>

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Check your local auto parts store or auto stereo shop. The auto parts store may not stock the antenna but they surely can get it for you from their warehouse. Nothing against any mail order house but if it's local you get to hold it in your hand and decide before the money chnages hands.

·
Rebuilt Excitment
595 Posts
Several years ago I saw in one of the rod mags a really slick way to do it. Drill a hole in the body the size of the top of the antenna then mount the antenna from underneath without the parts that normally go on the outside so that the top of the antenna sits flush with the body metal and use an o ring to keep it watertight. I never did it but it would work, maybe when I build the coupe I try it. :cool:

[ June 06, 2003: Message edited by: EBlack36 ]</p>

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Babyface;
I`ve done a few of the hide away antennas. They look great. Only drawback is if you need to work on it you have to remove the fender.Depending on location.
You will have to fab. a bracket and weld it to the underside of the fender,then find a regular antenna with a flat top tip. Good Luck;

Troy;

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

eblack and troy,

I think you guys definitely see what I'm trying to do.

I have a small lathe, so I was thinking that I could build an antenna tip with a lip, then build a receiver of sorts that could be welded to the underside of the fender. That way the tip would recess into the fender and I'd have a nice flat surface that could be painted (on the tip). If I put the o-ring in the receiver, and make the tip the same diameter as the bottom of the shaft, then the receiver would both seal the tip, and seal the shaft from water (I'd still put in a drain).

I just ordered a used '96 Deville antenna off e-bay. I just have to figure out how the mechanism knows to stop the movement, although I suspect its by resistance.

It seems like a cool custom project - very subtle though. Only thing is I need a flat spot on the fender because if there's any slope, then if the tip rotates, it won't lay flush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts