Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled a limited-slip Dana 60 from a parts vehicle that that's been sitting for many years. What should I do to clean up the internals prior to putting it in use? Will just changing the lubricant be sufficient? What kind of lubricant would be recommended?

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
When I swapped gears in mine a couple months ago I just used paint thinner to cut the gear oil and gunk, and used disposable shop rags to clean that up.

The recommended lube for your axle will vary from source to source, and hotrodder to mechanic. I used 75w80 in mine, and have 85w140 here at the shop also, but you could also go with synthetic lube too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, OK. That's what I was wondering, if after I drain the old oil, whether I could use anything to clean up the rest or if it would be too easy to damage the clutches or other internal parts with cleaning fluids.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
If your worried about chemicals used in cleaning things like this, it was designed to be used with a petroleum product.
You could also clean with kerosene or diesel, just use the most sensible precautions you can for the conditions.
Others opinions will vary on this but these are the things that have worked for me in the past.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts