Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fmx ford tranny in my 80 model truck , with 302 for power . the tranny has reverse an a little forward i low gear . know one has a repair manual for this transmission. does anyone have , any suggestions. thanks from alabama ford
80 t

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
i just bought a tranny repair manual off evilBay that covers darn near every ford tranny ever used, and yours is in it. :thumbup:

btw, it was only 16 bucks.:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
going fast costs money, but when you're spending 150 bucks on a 30 year old repair manual, you're taking that phrase way to seriously!

K

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Thought I saw a Ford auto tranny rebuild manual at Summit Racing on Sunday, don't see it on their web site but call them and they might track it down for you....

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
get rid of the fmx and throw in a c-4... why they even bothered with the fmx in 1980 imho was a joke. even a small block c-6 would be a better choice... either would last if built right and would save roughly 100 lbs. if im not mistaken, the c-6 should bolt right in... no changes.only thing is, is the neutral switch... may have to do a bit of wiring.. that, and the kick-down rod adjustment.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why not auto OD?

The later versions of the AOD aren't
bad trans when used with a relatively
stock engine and not overly abused.
They can be improved easily and cheaply.
Or, you could use a later model 4R70W which is a much sturdier trans, has all the AOD weak points fixed, and has a wider
gear ratio (lower 1st and 2nd gears than either the AOD or your fmx). The AOD would be quite a bit cheaper and it will bolt right in.

email [email protected] for swap info

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
tnsmith10 said:
get rid of the fmx and throw in a c-4... why they even bothered with the fmx in 1980 imho was a joke. even a small block c-6 would be a better choice... either would last if built right and would save roughly 100 lbs. if im not mistaken, the c-6 should bolt right in... no changes.only thing is, is the neutral switch... may have to do a bit of wiring.. that, and the kick-down rod adjustment.. :thumbup:
The reason was capacity. As manuals went away and everything went automatic in the 70s and 80s -- especially trucks -- Ford couldn't build enough automatics. The C6 lines in Livonia were maxed out -- The C4 line in Sharonville was maxed out -- and the AOD line in Livonia was just launching and not up to capacity yet. The plan was to do away with the FMX, but as long as they needed more transmissions they kept the Fairfax plant alive. It finally closed in 1982.

If you don't want to fix the FMX, either a C4 or AOD would be a good choice. The AOD design started as a modernization of the FMX -- same planetary gear set with clutches rearranged to get a 4th gear, and an aluminum case to save weight. The original plan was to build it in Fairfax as an FMX replacement but union and management politics dictated the AOD program go to Livonia.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts