Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1969 Ranchero with an FMX transmission in it. It was working fine and then the next day I come out and the gears are reversed. Park is still park. Reverse and neutral are drive. Drive is now reverse. I already adjusted the linkage to be correct and still the same issue. Thinking it might be a valve body problem. Any help is welcome! Thanks!

·
Burnt out transmission tech.
971 Posts
The aluminum oil delivery sleeve in the output shaft has turned.
The transmission must be disassembled and a new sleeve pressed in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The aluminum oil delivery sleeve in the output shaft has turned.
The transmission must be disassembled and a new sleeve pressed in.
So what does the oil delivery sleeve do? Also I can't seem to find one for sale online when I search it.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I agree with the diagnosis if the problem is consistent. I had an old Cruise-O-Matic and the shift points were all over the place and would vary from one drive to another. Some days, no reverse, some days it wouldn't move out of low. This happened after parking on an incline after I took it out of park.

I took it to a local shop (in 1974) and told the guy if it was more than $100 to fix, I was junking it. He pops the pan off, looks up with a light, gets the biggest screwdriver ever out... an internal shift lever popped out of the case inside. Fixed it for $35.

·
Burnt out transmission tech.
971 Posts

This shows the location of the sleeve. Not likely you will find one on line.

You will have to find an old transmission shop.

The transmission must be torn apart to replace the sleeve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts