Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is up with people and driving with thier freaking foglights on all the time? Even during the day and at dusk? And highbeams!!!!!! It used to be normal to click the high beams off when there is oncomming traffic, but no more, just keep'em blazing a trail no matter whos comming.

Must be a some kind of status thing or something "look at me, I got the sport package upgrade to my piece of crap, imported, overpriced, SUV (Stupid Usless Vehicle) and got freaking foglights" Whoopde freaking do! They are FOG lights, not driving lights, not off road lights, not daytime driving lights. These people need to get a life!

The ONLY time (other than when there truely is some fog) it might be worth using them is in the country on a deserted back road where they might help spot deer on the side of the road so you don't hit them.

Maybe it's me and I'm getting old, and my eyes are more sensitive to the bright light, or maybe the halagon bulbs are so much brighter, or maybe becuase I sit lower in my crappy commuter car and don't have a truck anymore, but I'll tell you what, almost every car looks like it has it's high beams on and for sure 50% have thier foglights on.

No my ranting will not solve anything, but yes, I do feel better now, thank you. :)

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
You are absolutely right. I think it is all ego related.

I DO know it gets a few of them to shut their high beams when I click on my Daylighters :evil:
I only hit them for a second, and thats after I have given them a blip or two with my high beams.

I hate the HID lights, I think those are the bluish ones. Or the whiteish ones.. I don't know, What ever they are theyare bright and glaring even when they are in the low beam mode.

We have alot of windy mountain roads around here, with minimal or no reflectors and many of the roads have little of no white line at the shoulder.
Bright lights are a must for that type of driving, but why can't some of those people be a little more considerate.

I'm sure that when I click my high beams at those driving with thier full race light array blazing, many don't even know why. And I'm the jerk. :(

Later, mikey

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
I agree about the high beams....................

Here in Canada, cars have had automatic headlights since the early 90s. They come on with the ignition, and its a crime to disconnect the relay that turns them on. They say that they did studies that show that you can been seen better, day or night with the lights on. Also, here it is illegal to drive any year motorcycles without the headlight on........

Dont know if I agree with all this, but as Walter Cronkite used to say..........."That's the way it is"

Yeah...........I know................"Big Brother is watching"

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
My pick-up has factory foglights on it........I have had the truck 7 years now and have never turned them on....Occasionally when it is foggy out...I forget that I have them. Maybe I will try them out some day. :cool:

·
Registered
301 Posts
And there are those that are just as stoopid on the OTHER side of the coin!!

What is it with those that will not turn on their headlights when it is poor visibility (raining, fog, dawn, dusk, etc.)? I asked a friend once that I was bumming a ride with and his answer was; "It's O.K. - I can see". MORON don't you realize that it's so THEY CAN SEE YOU!!!!! :pain: :pain: :pain:

THAT is why Canada and motorcycles have the mandatory driving lights requirement!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

texastomeh

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
I grew up with the understanding that 1/2hour before dusk -- lights on
1/2 after dawn okay to turn lights off

I also tend to believe in daytime operation so you can be seen.

High beams---absolutely illegal in city limits--includes hiways and interstates that run thru the city.

Personally I don't activate the hi beams if there is another car in SIGHT

I have a couple of seconds where I am completely blind when an oncoming car passes on a two lane, so I would rather slow down a bit with the lows, and pray the other guy CAN see.

Oh, how about this: Horns-------------I pretty much maintain that if you have the time to locate and blow the horn----you have time to hit the brakes.

A tap of the beeper to get attention---not bad----but most lay ont the horn like there is no tomorrow.

Bryan>>>>only knows the horn and hi beams work when the cars are annually inspected

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
New law here in Ca says lights must be on when it is raining. They say "if the wipers are on, so should your lights".

I don't know if it has been enacted yet or not. It is a fairly recent law.

later, mikey

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
I can't stand people driving with their fog lights on all the time. I feel like they're trying to say "Hey look at me, I have fog lights" I tried them in my moms car and honestly didn't see that much of an improvement with them on. It really bugs me when people turn their parking lights on just so they can drive with their fog lights on, even when it's almost dark or after dark. PARKING LIGHTS! That's another one that bugs me, only turning your parking lights on at dusk or dawn, it only takes one more click to turn on the the head lights.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

In Californication, It is Illegal to operate a motor vehicle on a public highway at ANY time with parking lamps..

Also the New Law That Mikey Spoke of , IS in effect..It was enacted Sept 05, and I can attest to that because I have already paid my dues to the local Muni Court..Which is why I built a relay system to activate my Headlamps whenever the Wipers are turned on..automatically..I be Soooo Forgetfull... :sweat:

About the Horns, I also designed my system to Flash the headlamps every time the horn is activated..So the other driver has NO excuse...Now they don't have to look around to see who is honking at them , unless they are Ray Charles..Can SEE where the sound is coming from..It works well in Busy Parking lots..If it goes to court ... you can PROVE the other driver's Lack of attention.

Horn Blowing for the "FUN" of it, in Californication, will net you a ticket in the 3 digit range..I've seen many get them..Including one of our own Consulemen..Stupid enough to "HONK" at a cop writing a Cite..DMV Say's it is to be used in Emergency ONLY.

On the SUV's they are a Major PITA...they have headlights at about the 4 foot level..lighting up everything from the Star Ship Enterprise to Ursa Minor ... everything but the road in front of them..AND then they add fog / Driving lamps Below the bumper to get some vision of the road in front of them..If you Drive a Low Vehicle (S) as do I ..you are blinded from the rear AND the front..depending which way it's coming..They USED to write tickets for that too..but I think the cops just said: Screw this..I'll be writing tickets all day" and blow it off..

The CHP, However , Will write on an oncoming blinding Ticket on the highway..again first line experience...In Central Californication..I forgot to dim the lamps... :pain:

HE turned around and caught up with me to cite me..(might have had something to do with the fact I was going 100+, before I saw him turn around.. :D Felt lucky to get off with the Failure to Dim Ticket!)

Doc :pimp:

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
What gets me is that you can get a ticket for having your high beams on, but not for having the fog lamps on when they are not needed. Here it is illegal to have high beams on within 300 meters (yards, approximatly) because of the blinding factor. But, with the high beams on, there are actually less lumens being emitted than there is with low beams and fog lights on!! And Lumens are what make the light look bright, as they are the measure of the energy level of the light. So it is actually brighter light coming at you with the low beams and fog lights on, than it is with just the high beam. I wish the law makers would bone up on some science, and ticket the ignorant dorks that drive like this, as well as the ones who refuse to dim.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
I hear ya'! For the most part foglights don't bug me if they're aimed properly but most of them are pointing up. My wife's Alero has them and they point up. I'll be damned if I can find anyway to adjust them, they do help fill in the shadows and light up the roadside but they also annoy other drivers. When I get in the car I turn them off but as soon as she gets back in the driver's seat on they come. I told her the are FOG lights and she only needs them if it's foggy but........... :rolleyes:

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
texastomeh said:
HIPPIE -

May be that your wife is like mine - sorta' in a fog all the time!! :nono: :spank: :nono:

Thank GOD for them though!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

teaxstomeh
Better hope she doesn't read this or you'll be seeing "lights"! ;) :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
I believe it is against the law in WA state to run with just your park lights on.

we also have manditory headlights for motorcycles and sometimes that doesn't keep people from pulling out in front of them.

The highway in front of my house has signs advising drivers to turn headlights on to aid being able to see them. As mentioned by someone else, it isn't if you can see but can "they" see you.

In the area that I live in driving with the brights on, park lights only and fog lights or driving lights that are not adjusted tends to go along with one particular group of individuals.

I just wish people around here would get their headlights adjusted once in a while.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use mine

I also have a problem with those who don't dim their high beams, but I tend to use my fogs all the time because it adds to my being more visible to other motorist. It has nothing to do with ego!! Any time you are more visible it benefits everyone on the road.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
My pet peeves are guys that refuse to dim em..and those that get in your back door with the brights on..

Fogs are nott all that bad if they are aimed properly..but that does not seem to be the case for a lot of them..

Sam

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
I hate them also and I thought about mounting a row of really bright lights to flash them with but all that would accomplish is that then there would be two blind people meeting each other and they would not get the hint anyway. I would probably end up blinding a Highway Patrolman and then he would not be real happy with me and in the end that would make me unhappy since I dislike paying fines. So I will just keep meeting them and hoping that one of us can see what we are doing when we meet.

On about the same note I was driving home last night and somebody came up behind me with the bright lights on and would not pass. I always wonder why some people are scared of passing. I was in no particular hurry and was only doing 45 mph in a 55 mph zone. The slower you go the easier it is to miss the deer. After a couple of miles he turned the headlights off and continued to follow me down the highway with his parking lights on. Every time we would meet a car on would come the bright lights, then when the car was past off would go the lights. This same process was repeated all the way to my driveway. Maybe he was having car trouble.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.