Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody using a IRS from a Cougar T-Bird or Explorer in a Hot Rod ???

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
Well....they use old Jaguar IFS and IRS in the trucks. Ford owns most of Jaguar now......

As far as actual ford IRS I do not know. Interesting idea though.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The Modern FoMoCo IRS has been used under hot rods. There is a new "kit" available for using this in early cars, check SPirit Motors.
The main complaint about them is that the outer hub trailing arms etc. are mounted very wide on the stock application. This makes it necessary to spend a lot of time in designing and making up new mounting points further in to accomodate use under the narrower early Fords particularly those running fenderless.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a search on SPirit Motors did not find anything, do they have a web site.

pasadenahotrod said:
The Modern FoMoCo IRS has been used under hot rods. There is a new "kit" available for using this in early cars, check SPirit Motors.
The main complaint about them is that the outer hub trailing arms etc. are mounted very wide on the stock application. This makes it necessary to spend a lot of time in designing and making up new mounting points further in to accommodate use under the narrower early Fords particularly those running fenderless.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Might depend on what you intend to do with the car. Some drag racers were converting the IRS Cobra Mustangs to a regular-style 8.8" live axle, I think because of wheel-hop and axle breakage issues.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
The Superformance Cobras used the Super-Bird rear suspensions until last year, when it was upgarded to an Australian BDR. I have seen several with 600 inch engines that put out at least that much HP. They are extremely strong and I have yet to see a rear break...... however the axles and CVs can break and it has little to do with the HP, some are not heat treated or machined well causing the failures. They have an enormous amount of wheel hop that is hard to control in a drag launch situation. Most of the guys with high HP engines usually launch in 2nd(5 speed) to reduce the hop on launch. They make for a great handling/riding car.But if, as has been pointed out, you are primarily drag racing a solid axle will serve you much better... and cheaper.Strret Rod/Machine great... Drag car, I'd not go to all the work and expense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts