Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Thanks for the Dictionary Kevin!

As a relatively new guy here I am sometimes at a loss for the correct terms to use when trying to relate a problem I am having with my car so the board can understand and help me. Thank you. I saved it this time.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,409 Posts
Very good site Kevin.
Should be in the KB for everyone to read. :thumbup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great Resource

Thanks Kevin. As usual, you have given us some more great info.

This should be moved to the Knowledge Base.

What a great help in posting.

Thanks again!

Pappy :mwink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you Kevin and others for the kind words about my Automotive Dictionary. It has been an on-going labor of love. I have about another 2000 expressions to add to it; but my time is filled with a hundred other things including the following:
A complete history of Cadillac (with pics)
A history of Corvette (with lots of pics)
A gallery of Honda motorcycles (with pics)
A history of LaSalle (with pics, of course)
A history of the automobile
and some stuff about bicycles (particularly tandems)
I believe the dictionary is the largest on the net.
You can access these pages at my domain:
http://www.motorera.com
It may sound like a business, but it is strictly an overwhelming hobby

Thanks to Jon for introducing me to the forum. I hope I can contribute a little.

·
Registered
599 Posts
oldguy829 said:
Thanks Kevin, it's a big help. But I still don't know what a Swedge tube is.
Methinks you are referring to the boiler tubes in a steam boiler. They are swedged into place. Swedging is the process of expanding something to affix it into place or seal it. Conversely, swaging is the process of squeezing something to accomplish the sealing or fitting. Still don't know what a swedge tube is , but at least got part of it. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
question !!!

doing the interior on my 32fordtudor sedan ...can anyone tell me how the back seat attaches to the two down rails below the back window ... :confused:

·
DETAILING GOD
4,266 Posts
Methinks you are referring to the boiler tubes in a steam boiler. They are swedged into place. Swedging is the process of expanding something to affix it into place or seal it. Conversely, swaging is the process of squeezing something to accomplish the sealing or fitting. Still don't know what a swedge tube is , but at least got part of it.
I just learned this definition the other day putting a car tarp together for my wife its the opposite of a pipe expander

So...its a goes into or a "goesinta" it shrinks the end of a peice of pipe to go into another piece .

At least thats All I know :smash:

doing the interior on my 32fordtudor sedan ...can anyone tell me how the back seat attaches to the two down rails below the back window ...
32 you really should do a search & then post this "Q" in the interior forum .

R :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Automotive Terminology Dictionary

Just writing to say a super job done for certain!! I can't imagine the man hours tied up in that little task LOL!! Also, I'd like to add something to oldguy829's comment about a "swedgetube", and some common uses for it. In my limited automotive knowledge, I happen to know that particular one LOL...I have used swedgetubes for "truing" purposes on various pipe or cylinders. There are several different types and variations of basically the same principle. The principle idea is to select the correct swedge tube with the correct weight to use as a swedge to drive for instance: exhaust pipes that are dented. You can swedge tube the straight tube back to full round with the correct swedge apparatus. Another purpose that swedge tubes are useful for is to measure "drift" in cylinders and or pipe. When choosing the correct swedgetube to gauge drift in the above mentioned applications...it can be a very useful, and an accurate means of measuring drift or full round. Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dictionary problems

Kevin
when I click on the link to the Motor Era dictionary. it takes me to an ad for web hosting. Cant find the dictionary anywhere
Bill

1 - 20 of 24 Posts