Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for input on this 2.3L build for a Merc. Bobcat I just bought. here's what I have planned so far

2.3L block and crank, cleaned and machined as necessary
Esslinger 5.7" rods with KB flat top pistons
Lunati 32903 cam (227/227 @.050" .500" lift, 110 LSA)
Milled head for 11:1 compression
Ranger exhaust manifold
Acid ported ranger intake manifold
stock carb later switched to either a Holley 2bbl or a IR setup with large motorcycle carbs.

Head will be ported with matching valvesprings and larger intake valves (possibley exhaust too if I can find decent prices)

Does anyone know of a good place to buy larger valves for a decent price? I found $15 a pop, but that is about 3 times the cost of most other V8 valves.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated as this is my first Ford 2.3L

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
you would use a 2.0 Ranger carb manifold? I don't think any Ranger 2.3's had carbs.. tho there the same basic engine design

my grandfather had 2 'cats' as he called them.. had the motors out of them numerous times for work and eventully the good bodied car's engine went, so he swapped the good motor from the rotted out 1 and junked it

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking at a 2.3L from a ranger tonigh, the guy said its the single plug head type with a carb but it may not be carbed. It's $100 for the whole engine and I can use the short block for that price. the mid 90's ranger exhaust is the one I'll be running- they in a few salvage yards and they work nearly as good as a header.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
yup, I got that exh manifold on my '98 Ranger 2.5

single plug head is pre '89 IIRC, but I'm pretty sure it is EFI.. might not be a bad thing tho.. EFI would be better than a carb and you could tune the EEC-IV to work with the high comp or just use a MS-II

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you thin the stock rods are good to 7000 RPM, or should I go with the Essy 5.7" combo. I don't mind spending a little money on good parts, but if they're not needed then I don't want to.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
finding a turbo 2.3L is harder than finding a std. bore buick big block around here. As far as cheap goes- not even close. I would like to swap the entire drivetrain with a 5 speed, computer, and trans from a TC, but they just aren't around.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
There should be some around - and probably a lot cheaper then a stock build up. They started using them in Mustangs and Merc Capri's in '79. They really ran nice - as I had one with the TRX suspension. I sold it for a song with about 50K miles, but it needed a top skin - the moon roof caused major rust.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a guy tha's local taht is selling a NA 93 mustang 2.3L complete with wiring, accessories, and harness for $200. He called this morning and I may go with that one. I'll be doing a rebuild of it when I get it and swapping to forged flat top pistons, a cam swap (will probably go roller if I get this engine rather than convert it to use the flat follower cam I speced), and cleaning it up with new ebarings, gaskets, etc.

my next question is- I'm having trouble finding information on the 93 mustang computers. If I swap the injectors can I have a chip burned to run with a turbo or do I need to do more than that. I believe these engines are MAF, but I'm not sure and can't seem to find any solid info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.