Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use a 292 distribtor in a 312? One Y-Block guy says "No" and another says "No problem". Who's right and why? I'm putting a 312 into my 1955 Mercury where a 292 used to live. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
BobWishart said:
Can I use a 292 distribtor in a 312? One Y-Block guy says "No" and another says "No problem". Who's right and why? I'm putting a 312 into my 1955 Mercury where a 292 used to live. Thanks for any help!
Yes, it's useable - it's the same engine family. You will have a problem with a '54 239/255 'Y' Block as they are orphans tho.

I wouldn't use that distributor anyhow - it's strictly a vacuum advance unit with no centrifugal weights. The 4bbl versions have a vacuum advance AND retard in a double diaphragm unit - and repair parts are not easily found. Look for an after market unit - i.e. Mallory was the big name back then and there may be one available on eBay.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
that distributor is a load-o-matic, it uses only a very sensitive vac advance, it gets a controlled vac supply, from a spark control valve on the carb, when your at low speed, a " door " is opened part way under load ( not just revving ), depending on throttle position, this allows advance to occour, you might see 15 HG at the dizzy, once you start moving faster, and vac goes away, air is forced passed this door, through a controlled venturi, and that creates a controlled vac, sent to the distributor. this advance system matches ignition advance timing to the load required because of this, for economy, and considering it was introduced on the Ford Flathead in 1949, it worked pretty good, it was last used on Ford V8's in 1956, 1957 they used regular centrifigul/ vac advance methods. in 1960 Ford reintroduced the load o matic, in 1960, for the Ford Falcon 6cyl, it was used in 144-200 powered cars ( Mustangs, Falcons ect... ) until 1968 when a full mechanicle adv distributor was used.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts