Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a daily driven '76 Ford Granada with a bone stock 302 with C4 trans.
Here is what I have done so far:

-2.5" exhaust, x-pipe, side exit Magnaflows, Hooker full length headers
-StreetFire CDI and wires
-Weiand Stealth
-Autolite 4100, 1.12 venturi, 1.5" carb spacer
-New timing chain
-B&M shift kit

I'm also hunting for GT40P heads and 3.55 rear gears (2.75 for now). Also working on a hood scoop ram air.

My question is that since I have low compression, 8.0:1 with stock 58cc heads, I'm mainly limited in cam choices. The two cams that are on the top of my list are the CompCams HE268h and the Lunati 06606.

HE268h has 268int./268exh. advertised with 0.456 int./0.456 exh. lift and 110LSA.
Lunati 06606 has 268int./268exh. advertised with 0.488 int./0.488 exh. lift. 110LSA.

Which one would provide me with the best performance?

I ask since I'm a bit confused since I know that they are designed by the same person.
The Lunati has more lift yet indicates only an RPM range of 1,600-4,800 and on the flip side of things, the Comp cam has less lift yet indicates 1,500-5,500 RPM range.
I thought that more lift would be better...?

Someone please enlighten me!

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I`d use neither cam. Your running a ford 302, you need a cam with more lift and duration on the exhaust side. The ford exhaust port is small, kinked and needs all the help it can get. You`ll also need to change springs with any cam you pick. Since it`s a flat tappet you`ll also need to break it in with valvoline racing oil and keep running it there after or there`s a good chance the cam will go flat. Add a double roller timing set while your in there.
If it were I picking the cam I would use the edelbrock performer plus or the summit racing eqivilent. It won`t give you a lopey idle, but it has more lift and duration on the exhaust side and it`s far better than the stock cam.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
For what it's worth, I am using the 268-H cam in my 302. I'm running E7TE heads (rebuilt but stock configuration), Edelbrock Performer intake and 650 carb, and bored .30 over with flat top pistons. Unfortunately I can't provide a "review" or comparison of the setup since I have not yet fired the engine.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Stock springs usually aren`t very good for aftermarket cams. When the springs are too weak and are worn, you lose alot of power the larger cam would give. This is why I always recommend the springs be matched to the cam.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
DoubleVision said:
This is why I always recommend the springs be matched to the cam.
I fully support DoubleVision's point here and matched springs are the prudent way to go. That being said, I still went with newly rebuild heads with the stock springs...but tested and/or replaced them if they didn't meet original stock specs for weakening. My feeling was that the 268H is a relatively mild cam AND I don't intend to be running up the revs on this engine much beyond just normal driving.

But when in doubt...go with DoubleVision.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Cam choice

I agree with doublevision for your combo neither is an ideal cam,I am running the Summit SUM-3600 :thumbup: the specs are the same as the Edelbrock EDL-2122 the bottom end and and mid-range are excellent,Summit sells the cam and lifters for $99 so with your savings buy the recommended Edelbrock springs and retainers,I have had great luck using the ISKY cam lube and the red-Line additive.Ford Motorsports also lists this cam with the same specs for $140 for just the cam.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.