Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an old '70 302 out of a Torino that I'm rebuilding for my '66 Stang. I was wondering if I could re-use the existing connecting rods rather than buying a new set?

This is going to be a slightly souped up street engine. 302 .020" over, stock crank, World Products Windsor Jr. heads, Crane Cam H-272-2, Edelbrock Performer Intake, and either an Edelbrock or Holley 600cfm carb.

If the stock rods check as ok at the machine shop, are they ok? Or shoudl I go with something newer?

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
The stock rods themselves aren't bad but the rod bolts are wimpy (5/16"). You will want to at least have the machine shop install ARP rod bolts and have them resized. This will cost aroung 150-175 bucks. Another choice is go with aftermarket I-beams. Eagle has their SIR series with 3/8" bolts. We sell the stock-length, press-fit sets for around 265 bucks and the bushed ones for around 288 bucks.

tom

This is NOT a solicitation for business. I'm giving prices to show what the cost might be.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never looked at Eagle. I've seen sets of Scat bushed rods balanced to +/- 1gram, had thought about those. I'll look into Eagle.

Any brands I should avoid?

(edited for spelling)

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
I would stay away from Cat (not Scat) stuff. With any rod you buy, it would pay to have the bolts tightened to the proper stretch spec and then have the big ends checked. More often than not, they aren't torqued properly in the manufacturing process and torquing them properly changes the bore shape, necessitating rehoning or resizing.

tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts