Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I parked my car then came back a week later or so and tried starting it and it wouldn't start. It was having a hard time turning over so I checked some stuff and at first I thought it might be my batterie or starter being weak or something then I smelled too much gas and then figured out the crankcase was full of gas. So instead of oil circulating in my engine I had gas all in the gallies, oil pump, lifters, everything I assume. I drained the gas and changed the oil two times. And put in a new fuel pump. I primed the oil pump. I also broke the starter gear and the bent the pushrods. I understand why my starter gear is broken. Because it was too much resistance with the gas because it has a lower lubricity than oil but I dont understand why my pushrods are bent. The only thing that could cause that is valves sticking or valves hitting piston? Or could it just be binding? lifters too? At first I thought it was my timing chain so I replaced that with the sprockets. I was thinking maybe when I was turning it over when it had just gas in it the timing chain slipped? Making the cam off time and hitting valves on piston? I'm thinking I need to pull the motor out and overhaul the entire engine. I always have to learn the hard way I suppose. I will always replace fuel pump on older vehicles. Why would you separate the gas and oil by one gasket? Bad invention in my opinion. Not thinking in terms of reliability. I'm running electric fuel pump from now on.
I know 2 stroke dirt bikes run with gas going through crankcase but those have needle bearings. So are my shell bearings probably toast?

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,985 Posts
Hydro lock bent the push rods. Cylinder full of liquid cannot compress so valve couldn't open.
My best guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hydro lock bent the push rods. Cylinder full of liquid cannot compress so valve couldn't open.
My best guess.
Yeah there was a lot of gas in the crank case becuase I was parked down hill with the front of the car pointing down hill. If I take the cylinder heads off and look at the top of the pistons and there are no marks then it probably was the hydro lock situation. Another thing I thought of was that the gas got into the valve guides and made the friction between the valve and the valve guide too much? I just realized I might have switched the pushrods around and then later realized it was a solid lifter cam. That could make pistons hit valves. I thought it was a hydraulic lifter cam.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Put new push rods in, adjust valve and turn over by hand, watching valves closely. If no binding or issues do a compression check or leak down to check for slightly bent valves. If everything checks out ok, try and start it see what is does.

I am thinking parking down hill for a long time let gas drain forward thru the pump.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I parked my car then came back a week later or so and tried starting it and it wouldn't start. It was having a hard time turning over so I checked some stuff and at first I thought it might be my batterie or starter being weak or something then I smelled too much gas and then figured out the crankcase was full of gas. So instead of oil circulating in my engine I had gas all in the gallies, oil pump, lifters, everything I assume. I drained the gas and changed the oil two times. And put in a new fuel pump. I primed the oil pump. I also broke the starter gear and the bent the pushrods. I understand why my starter gear is broken. Because it was too much resistance with the gas because it has a lower lubricity than oil but I dont understand why my pushrods are bent. The only thing that could cause that is valves sticking or valves hitting piston? Or could it just be binding? lifters too? At first I thought it was my timing chain so I replaced that with the sprockets. I was thinking maybe when I was turning it over when it had just gas in it the timing chain slipped? Making the cam off time and hitting valves on piston? I'm thinking I need to pull the motor out and overhaul the entire engine. I always have to learn the hard way I suppose. I will always replace fuel pump on older vehicles. Why would you separate the gas and oil by one gasket? Bad invention in my opinion. Not thinking in terms of reliability. I'm running electric fuel pump from now on.
I know 2 stroke dirt bikes run with gas going through crankcase but those have needle bearings. So are my shell bearings probably toast?
ill bet somepne poured gas into ypour oil i had 390,s all my life and cant see this happening sitting

·
Registered
671 Posts
over pressurized fuel system can put alot of gas into the intake. if it doesnt run eventually alot of gas will end up in the crank - but thats pretty severe.. esp a elec fuel pump left on and a leaky float = bad situation. My new holley 850 DP straight from holley leaked so bad I near hydrolocked my new 383 i was running for the first time. it was insane how much fuel was pouring down there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts