Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a ford fe 390 that backfires when starting up.it has a crane rv cam holley 1850 600 cfm carb long tube headers and 9.5 to 1 pistons it was rebuilt 5 yrs ago.problem started after tossing the draft tube and putting in a pcv system in place of the draft tube.When it runs ive got 20hg of vacuum at thebaseplate vac connection.timing is 10 btdc.It alsdo has a pertronix ignition.

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,865 Posts
are you picking up your vacuum at the base of the carb PCV port? if your getting your vacuum from an intake runner it will lean out a cylinder and backfire or pop through the carb.

Like F.Bird says you must have a breather to aid the pcv in evacuating the crank case!

Jester

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,865 Posts
carb base gets full manifold vacuum.Dizzy gets ported vacuum from holley cab vacport.Oil filler cap has a breather .This is a stocksetup.

Sorry :drunk:I left out 2 words that are needed in that post (the P.C.V.) Below is how I meant it!!!!! sorry again:drunk: LOL age is crowding out my proof reading ability LOL:D Give this old fart a break!!! LOL

if your getting your vacuum for >the P.C.V.< from an intake runner it will lean out a cylinder and backfire or pop through the carb.

Jester

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.