Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Ford 390 was built from '61 to '76. What do you guys think the best year would be? I mean what year would be the easiest to get parts for?
As far as power, how would a 390 4bbl. from a '62 T-Bird do? Do you think it would be a really good engine? How about a 2bbl. from a '68 Truck? Any help would be awesome. My step-father wanted me to ask since he's going to put a 390 in his Rod he has being built. He's not very good with computers at all. Cool, thanks in advance.

-Beau

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not sure about the 'Bird, but the 62 galaxie 500XL had a 390 with 300hp. I feel like the Tbird would be that or more. The 68 truck engine will be less, my dad had a 67 with a 352 that was 208hp, the 390 would probably be around 250hp. The Tbird engine would be my choice. As far as parts, probably none would be too scarce, speed parts or chromed goodies and brackets may be a problem, so salvage all you can off the donor car in the way of brackets, accessories, etc. WalMart wont have much to fit it.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool,
thanks for the information. It'll help alot.

Thanks,
Beau

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you are rebuilding it won't make much difference which one you use,unless you are using the stock pistons. If thats the case use the bird because it's higher compression,you will have to run premium gas to keep it from pinging.Most parts are available for the FE series engines,stock and performance so that won't be a problem. Good used parts can be a little hard to come by. They respond well to performance up grades and are pretty good about staying together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts