Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Text Diagram Parallel

I am planning on using a 3G ford alternator wired like the diagram, except that I am using a battery disconnect.
My question is: Since the alternator charge wire will be interrupted by the disconnect between the starter solenoid and the battery and my load point is the battery side of the starter solenoid. Will the alternator continue to feed the system? Will I have to break the Yellow/White wire to shut down the regulator? I have a 4 post battery disconnect, with a High current and a low current set of terminals.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I can't see your screen shot to see your wiring diagram. If you are using a manual disconnect then everything will be fine. One caution I would give you is that alternators don't like to have the battery disconnected while they are operating. It can damage the alternator.
If the alternator sense lead back feeds the ignition and won't let the engine shut down, then you can install a diode into the lead to block that from happening.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

OK, I don't know why
Text Diagram Design Parallel Auto part

OK, I don't know why 70BossRanchero couldn't see the image, but here it is with the disconnect drawn in as the green circled area. The red line is the high current contacts and the Yellow line is the low current contacts. Contacts make and break together.

This should shut down the alternator and isolate the battery. I would hope without damage to the alternator or regulator.
Besides being for battery disconnect during storage, It is intended to be an external electrical system shutdown, such as NHRA rules require.

Any thoughts on whether it would work without creating a lightning bolt?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The disconnect should shut down a running engine per nhra. Power to the ignition switch is sourced from charging point, which if the alternator is charging, it would continue to feed ignition switch. The yellow wire is power source for regulator, lg/red turns regulator on/off with key. If I'm upside down and unconscious, the electrical kill switch is located at the rear bumper to shutdown power and kill engine if still running.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, the yellow wire gets it's power from the battery, not the alternator. The regulator requires power to operate, the ignition switch simply turns on the regulate. Break the power to the system (the heavy red line in your drawing) and there is no power to the regulator, the ignition switch or the alternator, no power any where. Alternators do not make power by just spinning them like a generator will, they need to be excited. Spin that bad boy up on the bench with no battery, nothing. Spin it up with a battery hooked up, got power, remover the battery while it is still spinning....nothing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the yellow wire gets it's power from the battery, not the alternator. The regulator requires power to operate, the ignition switch simply turns on the regulate. Break the power to the system (the heavy red line in your drawing) and there is no power to the regulator, the ignition switch or the alternator, no power any where. Alternators do not make power by just spinning them like a generator will, they need to be excited. Spin that bad boy up on the bench with no battery, nothing. Spin it up with a battery hooked up, got power, remover the battery while it is still spinning....nothing.
Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.