Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in a parts store and a buddy of mine is intereseted in putting rocker arms off an 88 Ranger 2.9L on his 94 4.0L. The 2.9 has an adjustable rocker taht we believe would eliminate his ticking noise. the center where they slide on is the same diamater, but the tip where it contacts the valve is offset more. Does anyone know if this will work or what to try if it does not

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
camarored81 said:
I work in a parts store and a buddy of mine is intereseted in putting rocker arms off an 88 Ranger 2.9L on his 94 4.0L. The 2.9 has an adjustable rocker taht we believe would eliminate his ticking noise. the center where they slide on is the same diamater, but the tip where it contacts the valve is offset more. Does anyone know if this will work or what to try if it does not
The rocker should touch the valve in the same location. If not, the valve is pushed sideways too much and excessive valve guide wear occurs, rapidly. :nono:

Also if the valve end tip is farther out, then the pushrod side is probably farther out also... that could make the pushrod rub the hole in the head. :nono:

Not a good situation anyway you look at it.

Pushrods can be purchased that are just a tad longer (.060 probably) for valve clearance adjustment. Check with Ford parts or your local engine rebuild shop. They should have a catalog about that.

OR

If you have the pedestal type rocker arms that bolt on with a 5/16 capscrew, then the square bottom of the fulcrum where it fits into the head can be trimmed carefully with a file or by rubbing on sandpaper on the table to lower the rocker closer to the head..measure it with a caliper. ;)

Remember, the amount taken off the pedestal is 1/2 the clearance change because the whole rocker is moving closer to the head..... take off .020 makes a .040 adjustment change. Try taking .010 off a couple and see if it helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts