Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for those of you that have vastly more knowledge than I do. My question is this: I have a chance to pick up an CJ intake manifold for my 87 F350 with a 460 "L" in it. Currently I'm reworking the heads etc, and I was wondering if the CJ manifold interchanges with the stock manifold for that particular engine. Any input would be greatly appreciated. TOF

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts

Note that there is a big difference between the CJ and standard 429/460 Intake gaskets. A problem to watch out for is when you call the parts store (and even specify it must be a CJ gasket) they still often send the standard 429/460. Group member Allan Shepley has talked to two different people recently that have installed the wrong gaskets and the engine still ran but there was a vacuum leak. Be sure to check your gaskets with your intake port dimensions before installing! Note that in photo above, the standard gasket is shown on top and the CJ version on the bottom.
You must verify port size match between the head and intake.

There are two CJ intakes;

The CJ which takes a ROCHESTER SPREADBORE and,

The SCJ which takes the HOLLEY,

Information sourced from; http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/components_3.htm

You might find you will be better off with an EDELBROCK.

·
Registered
29 Posts
From what I understand you will need the CJ intake gaskets at a minimum but there will still be a port mismatch so flow will not be optimum without having port matching done on the heads.
Here's a link to some expert advice on 429/460 engines......
Paul knows his stuff and will chat on the phone if you give him a ring.
He's a busy guy so emails take a while to be returned.
http://www.highflowdynamics.com/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the useful information immensely. I hadn't thought about the the additional portwork that would be involved if I were to follow through with the CJ intake. I believe that your suggestion for the Edelbrock route is the wiser way to go. Again, the advice was greatly appreciated by both of you. TOF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.