Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
the book i'm looking at has anywhere from 202 to 375 depending in which level of stockness your 460 has....

2 bbl
4 bbl
CJ
SCJ
i doubt you'll find either of the last two options on a stock 460......

but they all made in excess of 450# of torque before 3500 rpm....
some even lower in the rpm band.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
406, how much hp?

From what I can come up with, they put out 360 hp, but that can be misleading as they put out 480 lb ft at 2200 rpm. Maximum stump pulling at its finest, this with a 4 bbl carb.

In 72, Ford went to differential horsepower instead of flywheel ratings and the 460 was rated at 200 or 212 hp, depending on whether it was the standard 4 bbl or the police interceptor version. Remember that along with the change in horsepower rating, also came dramatic drops in compression ratio and severe retarding of camshafts to meet smog standards of the day. This acounts for the drastically lower figures. To figure what the flywheel hp of the differential rated engines might be, add 50-60 hp, that will get you close.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Answer=0... Ford did not have a 460 untill 1973. In 1973 they had two versions rated @ 198 & 202 net hp (installed in car).. Mercury had a 460 in 1972 rated @202 net. From 1968-1971 Lincoln did have a 460 rated @ 365hp. The 68-70 engines had a 10.5:1 c/r and 71 had 10.2:1c/r. In the1972 and up engines the c/r dropped to 8.5:1 & 8.2:1 and the hp outputs droped to the 212-224 ranges. As stated by Max Kieth, in 1972 FoMoCo went to a net (as installed in the vehicle) hp rateing system but the drop in compression ratios, cam profiles, and emission equipment requirements, was the biggest reason for the lower hp ratings. But as stated most people felt you could a some hp to the new output figures if trieing to compare it with the old figures. I hope this helps.. :thumbup:

*ALL year, hp & c/r figures came directly out of a Motors Repair Manual from 1973 and not ment to be anything other that the Facts.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts

I got my figures from an old Motor Manual, for the 71 Lincoln. Ford started using the 460 in the Fords in 72, when all the compression etc went down hill, according to my books.

I have noticed that even Motors Manuals have different published horsepowers etc for a given year, in different years of publication. And there may be differences in whats published by different printers. I have seen differences between, Haynes, Chiltons, and Motors Manuals of the same year, and differences even from year to year of the same publisher. Ever wonder why that is. I sure have, but at least we know the 460 put out at least 360 hp in 71.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yes I've seen the differances too. That's why I stated that I pulled the info from Motors and that it was not from my meager memory bank. I didn't want anyone to think I was a smart ***. And yes the 460 came out in the Lincolns in 1968.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts