Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just rebuilt my ford 302, it is out of a 1990 Crown Vick. It is fuel injected and has a hydraulic roller cam. I purchased a engine rebuild kit from Enginetech that contained new pistons (.30 over) new bearings, all standard, new cam shaft, new roller lifters, and complete rebuild gasket kit. My problem is that the pushrods seem to be too long. I reused the stock 6.250 inch pushrods and when I turn the engine over there is no compression, if I loosen the rocker arms then I have compression. Has anyone ever had this problem?
Thanks
John

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Did you prime the lifters? If so, they may not be bleeding down.

Do the lifters appear to be OEM replacement or non-factory?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I primed the lifters and they are nonfactory replacement. I bought a engine kit from Enginetech which included a new can and new lifters. Wouldn't the lifters be primed and up when the engine is operating?
Thanks
John

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
This is the thing with hydraulics. You don't want to prime them as they may not be able to bleed down properly quickly enough to allow proper lash, i.e. they may hold one or more valves open.

You want to pre-oil (pressurize) the system and that will give the oil the ability to puddle around the lifter reliefs which are designed to pool engine oil and the tappet will draw as necessary. Even a dry start should only take seconds to send oil to the lifter galleys.

Does this still occur after allowing them to bleed down for a period?

If so, you need to verify valve lift and proper lash. The method will be in the FORD Shop Manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts