Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a complete Mustang 8.8 with Trac-loc and 3.73 gears. I want to dismantle it to get it powdercoated. I don't want to change anything and don't believe it needs any new parts. Can I just take it apart and put it back together? Are there any parts that are one time use and must be replaced? (other than seals) Will I have to setup the gears from scratch or can I just put any original shims back in (are there shims?)? Never had one of these apart (or any rear end for that matter)

Thanks

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
George - It still ends up as an "overhaul". You still have to replace seals, and as long as it's apart, bearings and clutch plates.

Then to be even more fun, reset the pinion depth, preload, and reset the contact pattern.

Oh yeah, the axle bearings - they get ruined when they are pulled from the axle tubes as they are not pressed onto the axle shafts like the 8" and 9"

You can do it!!!! :D :D

Dave W

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
Normally you won't have to reset pinion depth if you dont change Brg's. If the Posi is in good shape there's no reason to pull it apart.

You will need to replace at minimum:
Axle Brgs & Seals
Crush Sleeve
Pinion Seal
Pinion Nut

Pinion shim is under the inner pinion brg. If the Brg is still good no reason to mess with that. Keep track of your carrier shims so you can put them back on the correct side.

Look at all the brg's real good. If there is any questions about them, now would be the time to replace them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.