Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a couple questions for you....

1. How the F do I get the long tube out of the housing? I have drilled all 3 rosette welds out, and used heat on the housing and no dice.... am I missing something? :confused:

2. When you re-drill axles for new bolt patterns, do you drill the hole for the size of the spline on the new wheel stud, or a little thinner so the spline has something to bite to?

I am narrowing the rear 3" so I can stuff it under my s-10 without having that 60's drag car look...and it will also bring the pinion into center.....

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
ford 8.8

Ford 8.8 have different width's depending on what they are used in. and older ranger axles have 5 bolt ford 4.5 patern and are shorter . Have you tried to place a block of wood on the concrete then slamming the housing down on it to break it loose then trying to pull it out. one end tied to the shade tree and the other end chained to your truck ? when redrilling for studs the hole needs to be smaller,,, some parts stores let you look in the catalog at all the stud dimensions. hole size, spline length, threaded length etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check with the parts store for the hole size for the studs.

My rear is out of an Exploder, it is approx 53.75" wide backing plate to backing plate. I bought a second short side axle for it, and I am going to shorten the long side 3". I am wondering if I am missing something... there seems to be a smaller weld near one of the rosettes, closer to the pinion. It almost looks like slag. I am wondering if that was a hole for the guy pressing the tube in to set depth, then it was welded shut?

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,736 Posts
GUNTHER19820 said:
Hey guys I have a couple questions for you....

1. How the F do I get the long tube out of the housing? I have drilled all 3 rosette welds out, and used heat on the housing and no dice.... am I missing something? :confused:

2. When you re-drill axles for new bolt patterns, do you drill the hole for the size of the spline on the new wheel stud, or a little thinner so the spline has something to bite to?

I am narrowing the rear 3" so I can stuff it under my s-10 without having that 60's drag car look...and it will also bring the pinion into center.....

1. Good luck! Those axle tubes are pressed in, then welded. 99.9% of the people that narrow an axle will do so by cutting off the outer flange, removing a piece, and rewelding the flange back on the end of the tube.

2. You drill them about 0.020" smaller so the serrations have something to bite into.

That's a popular setup, I did this on my truck, but used a Ranger unit instead...

Russ

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
You are trying to do this the wrong way. Cut the housing end (wheel bearing end)off the tube , shorten the tube, and using a thru the housing alignment fixture weld the housing end back on the tube.

I don't know anyone who pulls the tubes unless they are replacing the tubes with Chromemoly tubing for racing. The tube is a press fit into the center casting, you have to come up with a way to press it back out, and press it back in straight .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.