Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9" out of a 78 F150 for my pile.

Refreshing the rear drum brakes on it and I noticed the balance/spreader bar was MIA.
Picture of untouched side on the axle.
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Disc brake Motor vehicle Rim

Ok whatever I bought a entire spare 9" from another 78 F150 from a diffrent seller and diffrent part of the state. Thats sure to have the balance bar/spreader bar.

Humm. GUESS NOT. Picture of my spare axle.
Automotive tire Tire Tread Vehicle brake Helmet

Is a 78 ish F150 not susposto have the spreader bar? Hits the parking brake maybe? I believe on both of these axles the rear brakes worked when pulled.
The kit does have new springs for the spreader bar. But I was not able to find spreader bars listed on rockauto. I just assumed I would have old ones between two axles I could refresh. Having one missing parts on one side ok. Someone was being lazy. But two axles missing parts on both sides?

Makes me think it is not meant to have a spreader bar. If it is then dang it. I will order them. Maybe I can get lucky and find them locally.

Or maybe its not meant to have the spreader bar on "select years" and I can get these brakes finished tonight moving forward on this pile.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeffs bronco graveyard is 87 miles away and it says they have them in stock(online). They want $18 to ship them and then they will take a week to show up.

Or
I can call Jeffs at noon tomorrow(when the phones open) to (pay for and) have them pull the part, drive out($30 in gas), and this time tomorrow have everything to do this right.

Ok my butt is going to be lazy on the brakes today and will find another part of this pile to work on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts