Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I got a set of 20inch wheels 5 on 5" bolt pattern. The rear end of the car is a 9 inch ford 5 on 4.5".I want to convert to 5 on 5"(chevy bolt patter). Is there anything else I have to change out besides the axels and drums.Back plate and breaks are new (original)

·
Registered
800 Posts
There is no way that a chevy axle will fit into the 9" Ford rearend. The 4.5" pattern is a Ford Mustang, Cougar pattern starting around 1960's and up. You may not have enough meat on the axle end to redrill a larger pattern for the Chevy 5" lug pattern. You could get some axles from an earlier Ford truck (1960-70's F100's) which came with the 5 on 5.5 axle pattern and were Ford 9 inch rear ends. Even then, that axle came with a a larger axle bearing then the one you have on your rear end, which would also need to be replaced. I hear expensive here!!!! :sweat: That axle plate is then large enough that would be able to redrill it to the pattern and new studs put in. The backing plates are the same, I'm assuming your running drum brakes which would require the drums to have to also be drilled out to the new pattern. An adapter like mentioned above may work and is most likely the inexpensive way to go, but don't plan putting alot of pressure or punishment to the rearend with that combination because it won't take it. You might have problems with the offset causing the tires to stick out too much or rub. Might be easier to find other 20" rims and sell those Chevy pattern ones you have.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have drum brakes, and rear end is has not been modified ,but is more narrow than the stock one. I actually have approximatley 1.5" of clearance so i might use adapters. I'll look at my nearest pick and pull and see what i can find on the lincolns.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
The big Lincoln Mark V's and Continentals in the 70's had a 5" on 5" pattern. I had a 78 Lincoln Mark V that had a 9" rearend with disc brakes with a 5" on 5" pattern. I sold it to a guy who was putting it in his 38 Chevy and was glad it matched his front bolt pattern.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
The axles were 31 spline count, I don't remember the width. I do know it was wide and and very heavy, the guy who bought it was having it narrowed down so it would fit in his car.

·
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..
1,283 Posts
Just to add a little help, ebay has sellers that sell them in pairs cheaper. Just look out for the billet 6061 aluminum adapters / spacers. When I bought some a year ago they were $50 + shipping a pair. Now they're on average $80. :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts