Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of locating a 9 inch rear for my 28 Dodge, and wanted a few questions answered. I'm planing on getting the widest axle I can find so I can shorten it to the proper width, but was wondering if I should get the large bearing, or the small beraring housing?. This is going into a street rod, so I don't need something that can haul tons of weight. Also, are 31 spline axles available for both the small and large bearings? Thanks. Dan

·
brains
1,009 Posts
For the most part axles are axles. Its the bearing retainer thats different, and they can be changed. There is also probably no need to find the biggest housing as the shortest made I think was 52". One thing I didnt think about when I did my housing was if the disk brakes system I picked out was made in my bearing size, as it turned out the brakes i wanted were only offered in the small bearing size, so i had to switch to a different company. If you already have an aftermarket brake system you want to use, make sure they are offered in small and large bearing sizes.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
hemi43 said:
I'm in the process of locating a 9 inch rear for my 28 Dodge, and wanted a few questions answered. I'm planing on getting the widest axle I can find so I can shorten it to the proper width

Thanks. Dan
WHY ??

I suggest getting one the correct width.....so IF you need a replacement axle..........it will be easier and less costly to get.

The most common, easily found narrow 9 inch is the 57 - 59 Ford car. They measure 58 inches wide ....wheel flange to wheel flange. They work great in 32 to 40's Fords so a 28 Dodge should be close to the same. The 57 - 59 Ford rears came in both small and large bearing configurations. 31 splines do not come out until the 60's.

Look here for a list of common widths.

http://www.dfwmotorsport.com/Fairlane/9inchrearends.htm

And this one for lots of good info about the Ford 9 inch.

http://www.kevinstang.com/Ninecase.htm

DEUCE...........:welcome:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The reason that I want to get the longest rear I can find , is because I can shorten it myself.( I have a machine shop). Also, I will get the rear end for free , so I don't want to be too picky!! Besides, I would rather shorten the rear to exactly what I want, instead of trying to find rims with the right offset. Dan.

·
Registered
185 Posts
9 inch info

I think the answer to your question is: you can find them in nearly any lenghth so why not see what size you need then get that size; why go through the trouble of narrowing , even if you have a shop? The s.wagon and Ranchero have big end bearings and cars small Fords) all 28 spline but you can change parts easily in these rears . Those rears will bolt right into an old Mustang or Chevy 2 ; so that tells you how short they are but Ford made all different leghths , Im sure you could easily find one nce you measure what you need. If Im not understandind what you mean Im sorry , just trying to help.

·
brains
1,009 Posts
I also have my own small personal machine shop that I have built up over the years, and I still can not shorten my own axles. I would suggest unless you have the equipment made to properly align rear axle housings, let someone else shorten it. It only costs about 100bucks and saves alot of problems including your axles.

Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.