Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to posting here, but I've read couple threads here before.

I'm wanting to upgrade some pieces on my 9 inch, but I don't have the funds right now to completely upgrade the whole thing at once. I'm pretty sure I want a nodular iron 3rd member, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I might have read that there are some 10" ring gear 3rd members out there and how a 10 inch ring gear will be stronger than the standard 9 inch. However, I've also read that a 10 inch ring gear won't last long on the street, which is where my rig will mostly be driven. Another deciding factor as to which I should get a 10 inch ring gear or not is if a 10 inch will fit into a factory housing. Also I believe I've read that not all 10 inchers aren't actually 10 inches, more like 9.5 inches. I should say that I don't know if I'll buy another ring gear yet, I just wanted to know what housing I should get. And I'm realizing that a 10 inch 3rd member might not let the pinion and standard 9 inch ring mesh correctly, so if I wanted to do it, I'd have to do both.

Secondly, I am lead to believe that there are two different pinions for the 9 inch that were from the factory, 28 and 31 toothed pinions. I'm not sure which pinion I have. (The axle is under a 1978 F-150 4x4 if that helps identifying anything.) I don't know what the swapability options are with the pinions and their tooth count. And I don't know if there are bigger pinions offered aftermarket.

Thirdly, is the Daytona pinion support the strongest pinion support out there? I'd like to get one of those if I get a third member, but will it just bolt on the the 3rd or will I need bigger bearings to go along with it? And does it matter if I get an aftermarket one or a factory one? How easy/difficult is it to install or swap a pinion support?

Fourthly, does anyone make a bolt on truss for a Ford 9 inch?

Ultimately, by the end of it all, I'd like a full floater with 35 spline axles, either a Detroit locker or Yukon Grizzly, (feel free to chime in and tell me which one I should get) mabye a 10 inch ring gear, and a Daytona pinion support. I'm not fond of the idea of cutting and welding my axle housing to convert to a full floater. I've seen a company called Miller Built who makes bolt on floater kits. Does anyone besides them make those things?

I'm just wanting to get a sense of what I can do with the axle as of now to beef it up. Any input is apprectaited

·
True Hotrodder
1,954 Posts
"I'm just wanting to get a sense of what I can do with the axle as of now to beef it up."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The easiest thing to do would be to source one out of a 3/4 or 1 ton Ford pickup probably starting in the mid-90's. I think there is a little bit better version like V.2 but I'm not sure what year those started being used. I would imagine anything in the last 10-12 years would have the later axle.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
The 10 inch gears are for drag racing in cars that make a huge amount of power. There is no reason to use one in something that is street driven. The Daytona pinion housing uses a larger inner bearing and a special yoke and it fits in any 9 inch case. There are some that have a larger bearing. The standard pinion spline for the 9 inch is 28. There are some 35 spline gears for drag racing, but again, there is no reason to use one in a street car. Full floating axles are good for something that will see high side loads from road racing or auto cross, but not much benefit for street use. You didn't say what you will be using this for and what you power level is, so there isn't any way to tell what you actually need.

·
True Hotrodder
1,954 Posts
He has a 1978 F-150, power level wise he would have to do some serious work to match the torque levels delivered by the diesel engines. He's looking for a heavy duty rear for the truck and the easiest bet is the 90's and up F-250 and F-350. It has a 10.25 gear in it and is a full floating rear from the get-go. Save for the change he'll need for the driveshaft and adding the brake package to what he has now, it's almost a bolt-in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts