Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a ford 9” rear end, no idea what model or year it came off. Hoping someone can help with the numbers on the tag, the top row has: WFY-A5 3KC
then the bottom Ron has 2 L .75 9 4808. Thanks

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
All I can tell you is the "2 L .75 9" is 2.75 ratio with the "L" denoting Locking rear, most likely the Traction-Loc. 9".

Others may be able to tell you more.....I know just enough to decipher the important part of the tag while salvage yard hunting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lincoln towncars have weird brackets and squished not round axle tubes. personally, id keep the axle shafts, center section nd throw the rest away. Many aftermarket suppliers sell brand new housings that are cheap, clean, and ready to rock. That saves so much time cleaning, grinding, prepping 40 year old housings... timer is valuable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, added a couple of picture, the doesn’t look like it has a droop to me, also I notice on the axle housing it has weld on both side, looks like you could could change the with there. Not sure?

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
Sorry, added a couple of picture, the doesn’t look like it has a droop to me, also I notice on the axle housing it has weld on both side, looks like you could could change the with there. Not sure?
No, you cut the housing ends (axle bearing housings)off, then cut the open end of the tubes to the width you want and weld the refurb'd or a new set of housing ends(bearing housings) back on.

I requires an alignment jig if you want it done right.

Don't cut the tube at the weld where it meets the center housing "banjo".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, you cut the housing ends (axle bearing housings)off, then cut the open end of the tubes to the width you want and weld the refurb'd or a new set of housing ends(bearing housings) back on.

I requires an alignment jig if you want it done right.

Don't cut the tube at the weld where it meets the center housing "banjo".
Thanks, i think I’ll start looking for parts that will work for the width I need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.