Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rebuilt 351W Ford motor that I am installing in a Shelby Cobra replica and I need to verify the meaning of the engine code which is D2AE-6015-BAE. I think this is a 72 block but don't what the rest of it means. Can someone help. The 72 is the key so I don't have to meet any emissions requirements.

Greggo

·
Registered
65 Posts
According to this source, D2AE-etc. would be a 351W (code H). In '69 H code meant 2V, but not sure in later years of 351W. Keep in mind some 351C's were also code 'H'.

http://www.cehighperformance.com/ford_block_car_codes.htm

D2 does reference 1972. However, I have seen where that is taken to be the design date, and not date of manufacture. If that is true, it seems that the engine would be a '73 or '74 manufacture. However, it would not be hard for you to get by with the fact that D2 in Ford nomenclature does translate to '1972'...

Maybe some FoMoCo gurus can verify...

You might try Green Sales (obsolete fomoco gurus). Its not toll free, but they look up Ford Parts #s for you. 1-513-731-3304.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ford block code

Thanks much. This is exactly what I have been looking for. As I stated I am building a 67 Cobra reolica and have an engine that I bought that is a 351W dynoed at 375 HP and 400 Ft/LB tourque at 4400 RPM. I intend to run headers and side pipes and the fact that this is a 72 engine exempts me from emission requirements in VA. Thanks again

Greg Thompson

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
The D stands for the 1970's the 2 stands for 1972 the A stands for the make of car the engine is desinated for, the E stands for Engine. The 6015 is the engineering number and the BA is the number of revisions the engine has gone through. Revisions start at AA then AB, AC, etc..... so from the casting you gave, the block you have is on its 27th revision. This is just off of the top of my head so I might not be 100%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ford Block code

Thanks a bunch. I have a rebuilt 351W with this code that I bought to put in a Shelby Cobra replica that I am building and since its a 72 block there are no emission requirements in VA so I can run headers and side pipes without any problem. The engine dynoed at 375HP and 400FT/LB at 4400RPM and should provide plenty of zip in a 2200 LB car. Thanks again for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts