Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I drain fluid from the pan only and NOT the converter, how much fluid will I need to add?

I couldn't find refill amounts in the book or net and I don't want to drain the converter also if I don't have to. I believe it took either 13 or 15 quarts total when it was dry. I did the recomended method of so many quarts, then start, then add, then shift through the gears, then add again. Just wanted to know how much to compensate for how much might still be in the converter, lines, cooler, and tailshaft that may not have drained.

Any ideas so I don't ever/underfill while checking levels?

MoocH

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks stu.

Well there's not much method to my madness aside from laziness. But I also figured that I only ran the transmission once since I rebuilt it myself with a shift kit. I'm usually pretty confident with my work and the most difficult part was getting the band adjustment screws to the right tnesion.

I used one of those bar-pointer type torque wrenches and backed off the recommended turning fractions. But when I pulled the pan to replace the leaking gasket, I did notice that there was a thin layer of silver on the bottom of the pan. Kinda like the consistency of GOOP hand cleaner with a silver color. I wasn't sure if that was something that I need to keep in the pan or not. I didn't change the filter since it was clean as a whistle.

MoocH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.