Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
The Ford Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) 427 V8 engine, known as the Cammer, was developed by Ford Motor Company in 1964 to recapture NASCAR dominance from the Chrysler Hemi engine.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
smoke said:
It was never in a production car was it?
yes, they were rare, but they are out there.Nascar ruling at that time stated that at least 500 cars needed to be produced for a production line for the car to be raced in a nascar sanctioned race ( this is the reason for the Dodge Charger 500's also ). The most noted car the 427 cammer is known for, was the 1964 Ford Fairlaine Thunderbolt, which was a factory drag car, outfitted with the 427 Cammer. Holman Moody did a lot of aftermarket work to them, 1 of the most known, was making Hemi Heads for them, the first set were Chrysler Hemi Heads modefied to fit.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Pat Austins ProMAx in Tacoma, WA has a ~57 Ford with a SOHC 427 under its hood. The last time I was there, about two years ago, it was not for sale. Very neat to see. I've also come across talk of DOHC 426 Hemis that were rumored to have been under development around the same time as the 427 Cammer.

·
ASE Certified Master Machinist
1967 Chevrolet Biscayne 10-71 blown 433 Big Block Chevy, T400 & 12 bolt 3.73 rearend
334 Posts
Blazin72 said:
Pat Austins ProMAx in Tacoma, WA has a ~57 Ford with a SOHC 427 under its hood. The last time I was there, about two years ago, it was not for sale. Very neat to see. I've also come across talk of DOHC 426 Hemis that were rumored to have been under development around the same time as the 427 Cammer.
I have a magazine around here with the story of the DOHC Hemi. They show pictures of it and the guy who owns it. In the article it states the engine never ran under it's own power. It was spun by an electric motor during development. You wouldn't believe the amount of Hemi stuff that guy had.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
matt167 said:
The most noted car the 427 cammer is known for, was the 1964 Ford Fairlaine Thunderbolt, which was a factory drag car, outfitted with the 427 Cammer. Holman Moody did a lot of aftermarket work to them, 1 of the most known, was making Hemi Heads for them, the first set were Chrysler Hemi Heads modefied to fit.
MICKEY THOMPSON did the Chrysler cylinder head conversion under direction of FOMOCO on the T-BOLT. There are rumored to be 66 GALAXY installations (limited) release but I have never seen authentication.

Attachments

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
-1965 Ford Moody Galaxie NASCAR-

This 1965 Holman Moody NASCAR Grand National Galaxie has chassis No. C5HM-10047. It was one of fifteen 1965 Galaxies modified by H&M for duty on the 55-race NASCAR Grand National (nee Nextel Cup) tour. The car was assigned to factory team driver, Fred Lorenzen, Ford's 'Golden Boy' of stock car racing. Lorenzen campaigned the car at Riverside, North Wilkesboro, Atlanta and Daytona. Lorenzen's greatest success with the car came in the 1965 Daytona 500 where he came home first, scoring Ford's second win that prestigious event. Later rebodied by H&M as a 1966 Galaxie, the car was used to test the viability of the single over-head cam (SOHC) 427 engine. The car has been authenticated by Mr. Ralph Moody. It appears in 1965 Daytona trim.

[highlight]Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (MERC-EDSEL-LINC-TBIRD) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools[/highlight]

-Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln- Engine Forum-

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
When I was WAAAYYYY younger, I worked for John Bandimere Sr. at the Bandimere Drag Strip-he had a building down by the entrance to the Track, and inside among Pikes Peak Hill Climbers and a Pro Stock AMX, a 12 foot stack of Mayers Manx Bodies (stacked inside one another), and various other cool stuff, was a row of at least eight SOHC Cammers in the crate-I've had Dreams (Wet? :nono: ) about those engines-

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
redsdad said:
No, it wasn't raced. It was tested (maybe), but NASCAR said no (or add weight). Looking at the photo, I think that is a standard FE valve cover on the left side.
Quote From Article-

Later rebodied by H&M as a 1966 Galaxie, the car was used to test the viability of the single over-head cam (SOHC) 427 engine.
MOPAR threw a fit over this engine. NASCAR had already put the halt on the HIGH RISER 427 saying no more hood bubbles could be used and this led to the 427MR and 427TP.

I showed the example as informing the 427 SOHC was not released for competition until the 1966 model year.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
In the mid 80s, I had a kid working for me that swore some kid brought into high school shop class his mom's 4 door Mercury Montego with a cammer in it. I guess neither mom nor son were savvy but he was trying to weld the oil pan in shop class and it turned out to be cast magnesium and they couldn't weld it. Last I heard it was still in the back yard broke down.
This was in Anchorage Alaska and I never confirmed or denied the allegations but the kid was a straight shooter and knew his Fords well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.