Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - Im wondering if its possible to transplant the innards from a ford breakerless system into a GM points style distributor-

Im trying to maintain the current wiring and breakerless ignition if possible- (this is for a boat fyi)

thanks

·
Old(s) Fart
6,014 Posts
How about you tell us what you are really trying to do? Does this boat currently have a Ford motor and you want to swap in a GM? Or do you have a boat with a GM motor and you just happen to have Ford distributor parts laying around? The easiest (and likely cheapest) solution is to install an electronic conversion for the GM distributor. How much will machining to fit the Ford pickup coil and reluctor really cost you? I don't understand the "maintain the current wiring" comment. There are like two wires to worry about here.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am changing from a ford motor to a GM - and the wiring/module etc is proprietory to the ford breakerless system (1992 marine motor) - I would like (if possible) to move the breakerless stuff over and have it work inside the GM marine distributor -

I am aware there are $650 + solutions but im curious whether this could be done- i dont have the ford distributor brand but it looks like prestolite -if there are GM prestolite variants it might work - just not sure if they used the same shaft ID etc-

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Probably 'not'. What brand outdrive? OMC or Volvo or inboard? the propriatary system will be that brands design. You can use a Mercruiser Thunderbolt I/V system. The OMC uses an interuptor like Mercruiser so they will do the same thing. Even the points will work the same

·
Registered
651 Posts
The only issue is turning down the points cam for press fit of the reluctor wheel. The rotor tip, reluctor wheel, magnetic pickup and the contact on the distributor cap have to all be in proper position to insure spark jump at right time. The gap for the rotor and pickup has to be around .006“ - .008”. Use an extended tip rotor for best performance. I don’t know how well this would work if at all without an HEI module and “E” type coil on full 12 - 14 volts.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I am changing from a ford motor to a GM - and the wiring/module etc is proprietory to the ford breakerless system (1992 marine motor) - I would like (if possible) to move the breakerless stuff over and have it work inside the GM marine distributor -

I am aware there are $650 + solutions but im curious whether this could be done- i dont have the ford distributor brand but it looks like prestolite -if there are GM prestolite variants it might work - just not sure if they used the same shaft ID etc-
The pertronix distributor costs $295 and will work with the Thunder volt systems

·
Registered
651 Posts
The entire HEI with magnetic up distributor as I modified was under $80 total. Assuming I all ready had an old Chevy distributor. But if you don’t I have acquired one at swap meet for $20. I’ve done three distributors and in process of another for my daughter/son inlaw’s old 46 pickup w/SBC.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks yes this needs to be uscg certified.

it's a 1992 omc with 5.0s repowering with Chevy vortec motors. would have been nice to keep wiring in tact and original so the honest can plug in.

the omc stuff is proprietary and wondered if I could keep it..

I'll probably have to remove the beakerless ford stuff

·
Registered
651 Posts
thanks yes this needs to be uscg certified.

it's a 1992 omc with 5.0s repowering with Chevy vortec motors. would have been nice to keep wiring in tact and original so the honest can plug in.

the omc stuff is proprietary and wondered if I could keep it..

I'll probably have to remove the beakerless ford stuff

Is this something that is checked?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.