Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ford 351-W engine that I can not find a number anywhere on this block. The exhaust manifolds,drivers side
is DOAE 9431-L, the passenger side is D5UE 8430-AB. I know this wont tell me anything about the engine but its a start.
Thanks

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Old ford part numbers

up until the late 90's the key was:

first letter of prefix = decade

b=50, c=60, d= 70, f= 80, e = 90

Second letter of prefix = year

so D5 = 1975 -- this is the first year that part was in production -- however the part may stay in production for years

So that just tells you it must be at least that late.

further third letter is related to application designed for:

A= Ford D= fairlane or midsize T= truck Z= mustang

but you can't go by that because if the part is the same across applications, it uses the letter it was first released under.

Fourth letter is design responsibility E= engine engineering, P =automatic transmission engineering, B= body engineering.

Middle is base part number, doesn't change across cars. 6015 is an engine block, no matter what family.

Suffix (often AA) is used to track engineering changes across minor revisions.

So you know the engine was built after 1975. Manifolds usually change with major vehicle packaging, so it is probably within 4 or 5 years of that, but that's not a sure thing....

If you can see numbers, check the block. heads and intake

Those are the parts that would matter most for any kind of practical purposes

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine ID

Thanks for the information. Ill take off the valve covers and see if the heads have any casting numbers.
By these numbers I have a 1970 drivers side exhaust manifold
and a 1975 passenger side exhaust manifold ?
Ive looked everywhere on this block and there is no casting numbers...anywhere..Someone said that this is not unusual for a Ford engine not to have casting numbers.
Thanks again for all the help...I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
casting numbers on 351W

Usually, there will be a casting number on next to the pan rail, covered by the starter, but sometimes for some reason they dont get cast into the block. A couple questions.
What kind of rocker arms does it have?
Are they stud mounted or fulcrum mounted?
If they have stud mounted rockers, then its a 78 or earlier.
Does it have a distributor on it? If theres a distributor with it, that can be very helpful.
Does it have a carburetor or TBI?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ford ID numbers

I pulled the valve covers today and got the casting numbers for the heads.
The drivers side head number is : 6L24
The passenger side is: 6E26
The dist, is a electronic unit and its casting number is:
DOAF 12131-A.
Any and all help would greatly be appreciated in trying to find out what kind of 351-W I have.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
351 W

Your Drivers side head was made Dec 24, 76, and your passenger side was made Jun 26, 76.

I would say its a good bet your engine was at least assembled in 76. On your ignition brain box, there are two wiring sockets, one should have 4 wires and the other one will have 2 wires; indicating you have a Dura Spark II ignition. If you have 4 wires on one and 3 on the other, then you have a Dura Spark I. The Dura Spark II came into production in 76, while the Dura Spark I was in use through 75.

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
A December 76 head casting probably indicates early 1977 assembly -- maybe a 1977 model - Max, your rocker tip should mail it down pretty close.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ford ID numbers

I cant thank you guys enough for the information and quick response to my questions. This gives me at least a really good idea what I have.
The ignition is a Dura Spark 2 unit according to the information Max told me to look for.
The valve train is like a small block chevy rocker arm set up.
The engine ran and pulled good. It has a 4160 Holley with a Eldebrock Performer manifold.
Ever so slight loppey idle..Im thinking it may be a RV grind of some kind.
I dont want to pull the heads if I dont have to. Now I have an idea what to buy parts for.
Again Thanks to all who responded to my questions I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
351 W

I agree with pmeisel, its probably a 77 production engine. If your engine has the stock cam in it, the duration is 195/ 195 degrees @ .050", and the lift is .416/ .416".

In 1980, they went to a larger cam in the 4 bbl HO and FI versions.

206/ 221 degr @ .050"
.445/ . 453 " lift

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
It has to be a 1977 assembly (at least one cyl. head anyways).

Pre-1976 351W had sixteen intake manifold bolts while 1976/ had twelve. You can also go by the spark plug size, 18MM early-14mm late. The fact that it has DURASPARK (I assume- is it factory or aftermarket?) throws it to a later assembly. D0AE 12131-A would be an older points type dist. 12131 identifies only the housing and not the assembly (12127).

The RH exhaust manifold is from an 1975 ECONOLINE. The trans I.D. is just a casting I.D. No. for the main case.

It is strange that there are no casting I.D. Nos. on either the heads or block. I cannot imagine someone grinding them off. The later years 390 service replacement block was the one that usually came with no I.D. nos.

The date codes (cyl. head) may also indicate 1986 assembly as both the passenger car/light truck engine was still carbureted and had DURASPARK.

It may require teardown for internal piece I.D. but just for tune-up parts and such, you should have enough information. How about the water pump? Dipstick?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ford ID numbers

Thanks again for all the help:thumbup:
I went over everything on this engine about 16 times. 4 times just this morning.
I did find one thing that I said was wrong in an earlier post. Its a Dura Spark 1 ignition. It has the 4 wires on one connection and 3 on the other..pre 1975?? This combined with the " points type housing on the dist. coinfuses things a little.
Any advantage/ disadvantage between the Dura Spark 1 & 2 ??
Is it worth converting over to a DuraSpark 2 unit?
There are no engine casting numbers anywhere on the outside of this block. There are no signs at all of any grinding on the block.
So for my own sanity Ill just call it a 1977, 351-W for parts purposes.
The water pump connects to the radiator on the drivers side
( pre 1983 ?? ) The oil dip stick is also on the drivers side.
There are 12 bolts in the intake manifold.
I really appreciate everyones help on this.
Thanks...again

:) :) :)

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
I did find one thing that I said was wrong in an earlier post. Its a Dura Spark 1 ignition. It has the 4 wires on one connection and 3 on the other..pre 1975??

This combined with the " points type housing on the dist. coinfuses things a little.

Any advantage/ disadvantage between the Dura Spark 1 & 2 ??
Is it worth converting over to a DuraSpark 2 unit?
Do you have the ignition module? What color is the strain relief where the harness goes into the module itself? Don't concern yourself with the distributor body at this point.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Interesting combinations on this powertrain. The black strain relief identifies it (the ignition system) as SSI (Solid State Ignition) from 1974 production.

Once you get things sorted out, I would try to find a DURASPARK II system (blue strain relief 77/ ) as it will perform better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts