Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys just bought another 1963 Ford Falcon this one has the original 141 c.I. inline 6 cylinder and 2 speed tranny. Here's the kicker the engine only produces like 85 hp , and has the intake and head made as one. done a little research but doesn't look like theres a whole lot of parts for these little engines . so down too the fun stuff,,, Can I put in a 200- or 300 ford c.I. engine in it instead?? and get a radiator in it big enuff to keep it cool ? any help is much appreciated !! thanks!!

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
What would I do? I'd purchase a '87-'93 Mustang with the 5.0 V8 and use everything out of it to put into the Falcon, including all the wiring, computer, electronic fuel system with tank and all, front suspension clip, rear suspension clip, everything. If you can find one that has body damage or a trashed interior for cheap, all the better. When the project is complete, sell off the remaining sheet metal, interior and glass to recoup some of the cost of the donor. Using a donor car will give you all the little doohickeys that will make you crazy trying to track down when doing an engine swap. This would make an outstanding daily driver.

The front track on the Falcon is 55.0". Front track on the Mustang is 56.6"
The rear track on the Falcon is 54.5" Rear track on the Mustang is 57.0"

So, swapping clips wouldn't require anything more drastic than maybe some 1 1/4" fender flares in the rear.

I saw a complete '89 5.0 convertible for sale in Tucson for $900 today on craigslistphoenix. I'm sure you could find some in Ohio for that money or less.

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
I would think up to 250 would fit, but the 300 is gynormous. Even as nutty as I am, I don't know if I could get wrapped around that swap. Pretty sure it would require some firewall surgery and maybe re-positioning the front seat and controls. Way easier to install the 5.0 in there.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
My buddy has a 63 also, he put a 302 in it with a/c. Its a tight fit.
A V8 swap into an early round body is snug, but since they came later with a 260, V8 it's very doable! The 302 is pretty simple, and a 200 six is even easier. The V8 crossmember is needed to properly drop a Ford V8 into an early round body. A few other small pieces also, but it's a much better choice for cheap power than a swap to a 200 six, unless you just prefer a 6 cylinder.
I went the V8 option on my '63. ;)

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
ok guys just bought another 1963 Ford Falcon this one has the original 141 c.I. inline 6 cylinder and 2 speed tranny. Here's the kicker the engine only produces like 85 hp , and has the intake and head made as one. done a little research but doesn't look like theres a whole lot of parts for these little engines . so down too the fun stuff,,, Can I put in a 200- or 300 ford c.I. engine in it instead?? and get a radiator in it big enuff to keep it cool ? any help is much appreciated !! thanks!!
63 Falcon Sprint came with a 260 which on the outside is dimensionally the same as the 302.

The progression of the Falcon six is 144 and 170, these have 4 main bearings and a lot of crank whip they are unsuitable to hop up as they will eat the bearings faster than you can replace them. The basic engine was redesigned for the Mustang as the 200 and 250 with a much improved bottom end having 7 mains. These like the earlier 144/170 use a cast on intake which doesn't make carburation changes very easy, but it is possible using tubing brazed to thin wall cast port stubs. Transmission of choice should be the 3 speed C4. The Falcon rear axle also needs to be replaced with an early Mustang or later Falcon unit, the early Falcon rear isn't up to a larger engine. Spindles, brakes and wheels should be updated to the early Mustang and late Falcon parts as well.

The 240 and 300 are much larger sixes made for full size cars and trucks, fitting them to a Falcon is doable but is an exercise in space mangement.

Bogie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanx Bogie the info is much appreciated.. how early should I go for mustang parts such as rear axle assembly ? also do u know what entitles the change over for the front end gear box. etc. ? the tech inspector suggested '87-'93 mustang but I thin the earlier models were narrower.. thanx..

·
Registered
13,472 Posts
thanx Bogie the info is much appreciated.. how early should I go for mustang parts such as rear axle assembly ? also do u know what entitles the change over for the front end gear box. etc. ? the tech inspector suggested '87-'93 mustang but I thin the earlier models were narrower.. thanx..
Look back to the 65 sometimes called 64.1/2 and the 66, these are the most Falcon interchangable. Watch out for the early 200 six there was a period where it too had the 4 mains.

Bogie

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
5.0 Front suspension.

The Fox chassis (5.0) design has a bolt in front crosmember. one of the things the mustang guys do guys is slot the crosmember holes to slide it foreward , then slot the motor mount holes to get the engine as far to the rear as possible. 5 bolt wheel pattern for converting 4 lug 5.0 to 5 bolt wheels and rear disc brakes is easy with ford factory parts from rangers, aerostar, lincoln town car wrecking yard pieces. The hardest but doable thing is the upper strut mounts. I would make sub frame connector pieces, and do the 4 tube style with rect tube under the rockers , and the main front to rear under the seats, crosmembers so you could install a cage or roll bar easily

1 - 13 of 13 Posts