Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You are a very talented man, I will look forward to seeing more of your work. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Thanks ! I’ve been doing this for 10 years and managed to make several projects, but not one has been completed to the end :):):drunk: but one of them is even on the go. Half the car drives like a tadpole)) . .. (Fleelline 1942 custom pickup in Moscow)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Nice clean-up design of the rear bumper and rear valence area :thumbup:....a whole lot better than that ugly 5-mph impact bumper crap that was there.

I'm following this with interest.....so much of the 70's passenger cars could look so much better with mods like these....now if the hot rod crowd would just catch on.

I did a '74 Z28 Camaro about 15 years back with similar type of mods to the bumpers. Stock aluminum bumpers narrowed, filler panels tossed out, bumpers mounted in closer to the body within 3/8" of body, rubber "bump" strip removed from the bumper and holes welded shut and smoothed, and then bumpers painted body color.
Cleaned up the whole look of the car.

Popular Hot Rodding magazine then "copied" our idea about 2-3 years later on their "Project G-28" Pro-Touring 1976 Camaro build-up.

I guess we were both ahead of the trend.:mwink:
When you are copied, you are like a star!))) This is my first project of the 1970s. I am more inclined to old cars, but gradually this project fascinated me.
****Initially, I wanted to engage in the instilling of the American spirit into Soviet cars, which are full of here, but people here do not understand this and gradually I was attracted to American projects
.But still I try not to give in to trends and try to do things that are timeless:pimp: . because life is too short to spend time on temporary things ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The boot lid was in very poor condition, as if they were jumping on it. In addition, it was necessary to make a new lower edge

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Finally, I posted all the photos and got to the current state of affairs

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Now I'm thinking about the design of the face. Any criticism is interesting to me

Attachments

·
More for Less Racer
19,477 Posts
You seem to be drawing influence from the '68-71 Galaxie XL, and I think that's a good thing. The hidden headlights with retractable doors is a good look....I particularly like the '68-69 style front the best, the '70-71 with the divider beak in the middle not so much.

I like your images #3, and I like the shapes of the front face in #5 & #8 but would prefer to have the multi-rib pattern of the grille to continue on the headlight doors like image #10, to appear seamless.

A suggest I would have is to lose the strut mounted lower "splitter"/spoiler deal in images 8-12, I think that is a trendy thing that is quickly going to drop out of favor....it's too "bosozoku" looking IMO.
Maybe look to early to mid 1970's road race/Can Am/IMSA type styling in that area.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
I like #5. Just as it is. :thumbup: Early ideas are often best when it comes to styling.

I agree with ericnova about grille bars continuing across the headlights, and about visible splitter supports being a departure from the overall style. I would like to see the lower horizontal element just be part of the bumper but it could be a seperate part.

I think it would be interesting to experiment with grille ends which have a narrow extension that wraps around the fender tips, as seen on late 60s early 70s Mercurys.

I also enjoy seeing how freely you express your thoughts with metal. :cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

A suggest I would have is to lose the strut mounted lower "splitter"/spoiler deal in images 8-12, I think that is a trendy thing that is quickly going to drop out of favor....it's too "bosozoku" looking IMO.
Maybe look to early to mid 1970's road race/Can Am/IMSA type styling in that area.
"splitter" / spoiler ...... I just want it have a functional look like a sports car ... maybe with good detail it will not look like a boso

I'll try to draw without this spoiler ... but I'm worried about aerodynamics ))

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Bumper made of 1.5 mm steel. I'm a little worried that the front looks massive

Attachments

·
More for Less Racer
19,477 Posts
To me, that forward reaching point at the corners of the front bumper are what kill the look and make it look massive in profile view, like you fear. I think the bumper corners should not be any more forward that the fender is at the top...instead of that "Dagmar" look to the bumper, shave those points off so it looks like a downward extension of the fender's vertical front edge line.

Look at the front of the early 1970's Australian Chrysler VH Valiant Charger for what I'm describing.

I would also shorted the bottom of the front fender forward of the wheel opening, having it drop down to the same level as it is behind the tire makes the front nose look heavy and massive.....if you look at most car designs from a similar design era of late 1960's clear up to the time separate chrome bumpers were dropped from designs, the lower front of the fenders were never as low as it is behind the tire. It's only a couple of inches, but it has a big visual impact.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
To me, that forward reaching point at the corners of the front bumper are what kill the look and make it look massive in profile view, like you fear. I think the bumper corners should not be any more forward that the fender is at the top...instead of that "Dagmar" look to the bumper, shave those points off so it looks like a downward extension of the fender's vertical front edge line.

Look at the front of the early 1970's Australian Chrysler VH Valiant Charger for what I'm describing.

I would also shorted the bottom of the front fender forward of the wheel opening, having it drop down to the same level as it is behind the tire makes the front nose look heavy and massive.....if you look at most car designs from a similar design era of late 1960's clear up to the time separate chrome bumpers were dropped from designs, the lower front of the fenders were never as low as it is behind the tire. It's only a couple of inches, but it has a big visual impact.
Well said. I agree with all but didn't look up the OZ car.

I say let the bumper stick out slightly so it works as one should. But yes, blunt the pointy tips or tone that down some, carry the vertical knife edge down from the fender as it tucks under.

The wheel opening, yes... higher in front will serve better but maybe not look as slammed as some might like. Doing that will take away some of that brick-like profile and serve better on the street with a steeper approach angle. I say move it up approximately the height of the rocker. Move that clamp up to about even with the top wheel stud.

Thank you for posting the pictures, shamann. :cool: I am enjoying this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
.... the bumper corners ....

....shorted the bottom of the front fender....
Thanks !
I also don’t like the front corners of bumper, but I’ll try to just blunt them

The bottom of the fender /I cut 30 mm and now it looks better. I just looked at the original Ford and also noticed that the front line is higher than the back

·
More for Less Racer
19,477 Posts
The Aussie Valiant Charger VH/VJ, for those who don't know of it...The Aussie's had quite a few cool looking cars in the late 60's and 1970's

Also available as the Valiant Pacer in a sedan roofline, 2 and 4 door models...

I look forward to seeing Shamann's progress posts on this Galaxie build too. :thumbup:

21 - 40 of 68 Posts